Gaming | Wyrdstone Hunt

Practice games are done, the gloves are off, and the deaths are real. The Mordheim campaign has finally begun.

Mordheim

As I am uncreative, I have not named anyone in my warband other than Marshall, Disciple of Tim, who has received a promotion as the lead assassin of the warband after his over-exaggerated "death" at the hands of the Idoneth Deepkin. He wields a Poisoned Blade, Throwing Stars, and a dagger, as all members of the party do. He leads a rapscallion team of ne'er-do-wells, comprised of:

An Eshin Sorcerer, wielding a halberd, a sling, and the spell Warpfire
A pair of Black Skaven, one with fighting claws, and the other with swords
A pair of nightrunners, both with swords and slings
A trio of Verminkin, all with clubs and daggers
A trio of giant rats, armed with nothing but their teeth and claws

Mordheim Giant Rats
The real heroes of the group

The first scenario to kick it all off was Wyrdstone Hunt, where we rolled that 4 chunks of the stuff would be cast about on the field. The terrain was provided by my opponent, who had an Orcs & Goblins warband. 

Mordheim Skaven Warband

In a bit of an accident, I got the side of the board that had a ramp up to the center platform, which gave me something of a movement advantage. That's something that definitely has to be considered more in the future for fairness sake. In typical Skaven fashion, my goals were to: get all the warpstone, and not die. 

Mordheim Wyrdstone Hunt

Mordheim Wyrdstone Hunt

I quickly ran up to gain the high ground, as we all know that it automatically wins you duels. My Assassin ordered the Giant Rats and Verminkin to hold the ramp. They would sacrifice their lives to keep the more important leaders safe, as is Skaven tradition. 

Mordheim Wyrdstone Hunt
What 4 rounds of shooting gets you

Thus began the back and forth shooting war, which, for a total of 4 turns, would result in no deaths. Even my Sorcerer, famed for his epic casting of Warpfire, only managed to stun his opponents. 

Mordheim Wyrdstone Hunt

Mordheim Wyrdstone Hunt
Forth my rats! To glory! 

Meanwhile, the Orcs were trying to make their way around the platform. Unfortunately for this little goblin, he was stuck trying to climb up the other side. 

Mordheim Wyrdstone Hunt
A Sisyphean struggle

Sneaking away from combat, I managed to gather all of the Warpstone tokens around the board. In went the Giant Rats to the their death, where as soon as all 3 of them died I would be able to "break" and get out of here with my loot. They would go on to kill a squig. Then they would all die, along with a Verminkin who got a little too close for comfort. The idiot. 

Mordheim Wyrdstone Hunt

As soon as those 4 members died, I hit the 25% required to break. All my surviving models slunk away into the shadows, the live another day. 

After the game, I got to explore some of the city. I came away with 8 total chunks of warpstone, some XP for my Assassin and Sorcerer, who killed a goblin each, and a random person that we encountered. We sold him to the Eshin for 5 gold. I'm sure that guy's future is bright. All the rats and the idiot Verminkin managed to survive their wounds, so they'll be around for the next round of gaming. I do have to be careful with these sacrifices though, as I managed to give the Orc leader enough XP to gain a level. Can't be having that. 

-The Space Dinosaur

6 comments:

  1. Great result in the encounter SD, although giving away XP to the opposition is never a good idea ! LOL With the fragility of Skaven I think you may need some more cunning plans for your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes haha I've definitely learned from it, game 2 went a little better for me

      Delete
  2. Well those are some fabulous game pics. great miniatures and terrain.
    I think I understand right, you 'won' by 'breaking'?
    good luck in the campaign! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! Yes, it technically doesn't count as a "win" for XP reasons, but I traded 1 XP for lots of money I can use to recruit more units, so I consider it a win.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a sneaky Skaven win to me, looked great too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete