Hobby | A Conjurer of Cheap Tricks

Since I'm basically an expert at playing Skaven in Mordheim now, I feel comfortable settling down with the warband and throwing some paint on some models. First up I have this Eshin Sorcerer, who is converted from a Grey Seer who would normally sit atop a Screaming Bell. Whether or not this is a demotion or promotion for this particular rat is up to the reader. 

Mordheim Eshin Sorcerer


First up, we need some before and after photos. 

Skaven Greyseer


Mordheim Eshin Sorcerer

The big changes were: taking off the head and replacing it with a hooded one from the Warplightning Cannon, cutting the bell off the tail and replacing it with a knife from the Clanrats kit, as well as taking some chains from the same kit and adding it to the to the end of the spear, and finally just adding little pouches and trinkets to the back of the model. Then there's all the basing, which used actual slate stones, some foam bricks, sand, and a tiny little rat from the Cursed City line. This all made him a bit sneakier and killier, which is more in line with this model's Eshin roots. The original hand was holding onto a bell, so I replaced it with a dagger hand from the older Clanrat kit, which is the only model I found to have left hands holding daggers. 

Mordheim Eshin Sorcerer

I pushed the colors and textures on this model as well, as I think my models could use a bit more nuance to them. My Iphone 7 camera struggles a little to catch all of the details, but the cloak has lots of little hash marks and weathering on it to make it look much older. 

Mordheim Eshin Sorcerer

I've also managed to stumble upon a really good rusty metal recipe, which is: 
Gun Metal (AP) basecoat
Nuln Oil (GW) wash
Agrax Earthshade (GW) wash
Thinned, uneven Cassandora Yellow (GW) Wash
Watered down uneven wash of Ryza Rust (GW)
Thin edge highlights with Shining Silver (AP)

Mordheim Eshin Sorcerer

The dirty mask and staff were also new recipes: 

Tattered Cloth Recipe
Flayed One Flesh (GW) basecoat
Thinned wash of Cassandora Yellow (GW)
Uneven, splotchy application of Agrax Earthshade (GW)
Highlight with Flayed One Flesh (GW)
Highlight with a 50/50 mix of Flayed One Flesh (GW)/ Matt White (AP)
Scratchy highlight of Matt White (AP)

Lacquered Wood
Basecoat Flayed One Flesh (GW)
Wash with Agrax Earthshade (GW)
Lightly glaze with Skeleton Horde Contrast (GW)
Very thin glaze Wyldwood Contrast (GW)
Leave the glossy look that the contrast leaves
Thin highlights with Flayed One Flesh (GW)

Mordheim Eshin Sorcerer

Another area I worked on was mixing colors. Instead of using whites and blacks to change the tone of a color, I used different colors with different temperatures. The goal was to avoid desaturating the colors. In this case on this tiny little rat, I used orange to lighten the brown, which keeps its color and also gains a warmer hue. This is definitely something I'll keep working with in the future as I quite liked the results. 

And that's my Eshin Sorcerer. While I was working on him, I got some Clanrats re-painted, and they will serve as Verminkin in the warband. They join some Giant Rats which I already had prepared. 

Mordheim Skaven Warband

The unpainted bit of the warband is my Master Assassin, 2 Black Skaven, and 2 Gutterrunners. 

Mordheim Skaven Warband

Once all is said and done, I'll have a total of 12 models in the starting warband. I've tried to match their loadout to the models as closely as possible, but there's a bit of fudging to make it work. I also have some models ready to go in case any of them permanently die or I add new members. 

-The Space Dinosaur

6 comments:

  1. The conversions on your sorceror are excellent SD, if you hadn't said what they were it would have been impossible to tell that it was converted, which is always the sign of a fantastic conversion. The colour scheme works really well, and should be a cool centre piece for the warband, but with the look of some of the unpainted ones, they may feel that the should be the centre piece ! LOL The repaints look great to, and should be a awesome looking warband

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's high praise coming from you, your sculpting always looks so good. Haha the assassin is supposed to be the core of the warband, but I really like how this guy turned out.

      Delete
  2. great job. the rat looks the business. who would ever suspect a tail dagger? not this guy.😁
    should be all set unless the other warbands bring giant mouse traps complete with really smelly cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well if you have a prehensile tail, that's just an extra hand to hold another knife! What slanderous stereotypes, these fine chaps prefer just normal smelly cheese.

      Delete
  3. Excellent looking Skaven sorcerer, I think mine is unpainted, metal and has got a ratogre called boneripper, glad to hear you're basically an expert now, well done!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! Ah Thanquol and Boneripper, a classic duo.

      Delete