WIP | Time is a Square

This year has unintentionally had something of a throwback theme, as I've started playing Mordheim, and now I'm working on getting an army for Warhammer: The Old World off the ground. I never got to play Warhammer Fantasy back in the day, let alone make a rank and flank army. When Age of Sigmar launched, I did manage to pick up some official models, which I supplemented with miniatures from Fireforge Games. I didn't get very far, as the army didn't really have a place in the modern game. I mean, sure, I could play them as Cities of Sigmar, but it just didn't fit very well. But thanks to the revitalization of Warhammer Fantasy, I'm finally able to give this army some much needed love. 

Bretonnia Army


In order to make sure that I have a "legal" army, I've been using the Forces of Fantasy book along with the Bretonnia Arcane Journal. Again, I've n ever built an army for Warhammer Fantasy, so I'm used to Age of Sigmar. I will say that it's incredibly cool to be able to pick the loadouts of your models, and the number of miniatures that a unit will have, and what upgrades they receive and so on. It gives a measure of control to your army that I've never had, and it opens up a lot of converting and customization options that really make the army yours. 

Of course, the first thing I had to deal with was going from round bases to square. I really don't want to do this ever again, so this is the last time this army gets new bases. I'll just get movement tray converters if need be. Now, going over the units that I have and where I'm going with things. 

Bretonnian Border Prince Brigands with Crossbows

First up is this unit of crossbowmen. They got some old bases from when I first rebased some Saurus Warriors way back when I started this hobby. Luckily I'm a hoarder and I kept those, so yay for bad habits I guess. Technically, Bretonnia can't field crossbows, but in the Arcane Journal there's an option to run an Exile army that lets you take more exotic unit choices. These will take the role of Border Prince Brigands armed with crossbows, and I've got 16 miniatures to mess around with. The one on the front rank to the right is the unit champion as he has the cool guy pose with the crossbow resting on the ground. Haven't decided if I'll add a banner and musician to round out the command. The models are Fireforge Medieval Archers, which I painted some time back. Removing them from their old bases meant I lost a lot of feet, which required some sculpting with Green Stuff. It'll probably be buried under grass, but hey, I know they're there. 

Bretonnian Yeoman Guard

Continuing with more Bretonnian Exiles units, these guys will serve as Yeoman Guard. In the lore, they get to wear much more heraldry than normal peasants, which nicely matched the way I had painted these already. These are Fireforge Foot Sergeants, all armed with spears and shield. I've got 24 miniatures here, no command models though. I may make those interchangeable with all of my peasant forces, depends on the units I can make I guess and how I want to play them. I have to rebase all of these still. 

Bretonnian Border Prince Brigands with Hand Weapons

This unit sits in a weird place for me. These are Fireforge Templar Infantry. Originally, I meant them to be Battle Pilgrims, which is why I had them all bear the Abbey on their shields. But, with the re-release of the original models, I may go with those instead, or I don have some 3D prints that I've been eyeing. So what to do with these. They may just be labeled as Border Prince Brigands as well, this time with hand weapons and shields. I do have a champion (the one with the flail) and a banner, but no musician. 

Bretonnian Border Prince Brigands with Hand Weapons

Speaking of banners, I didn't have any banner bits that I liked, so I decided to make my own the old fashioned way. I had some spare cards from Armada that had a good thickness to them, so they made a great basis. A few simple cuts and bends later, and boom, I had a new banner. Just needs a good coat of paint to finish it up. 

Bretonnian Mounted Yeoman


As you can see by now, I have a lot of Fireforge models that needed homes. These were originally Templar Knights, but the horse scale is smaller than the Bretonnian warhorses. Luckily, The Old World has started using different base sizes to distinguish between different sized mounts, and Mounted Yeoman ride smaller horses than the knights. These models are armed with shortbows, cavalry spears, and hand weapons, so I just decided to have a smattering of all these weapons through the unit of 8. They have full command, and I used some GW Man-at-Arms heads to better tie them to the official models. The front 4 have barding while the back 4 don't. No in game effect, but it helps to separate out the command models. 

Bretonnian Mounted Yeoman

They also got a paper banner, and tons of little bits all over to show that they are light scouts. I also decided to give them shields. No idea if this is optimal, but I like having colorful shields, so it's worth it to me. 

Bretonnian Pegasus Knights

Rounding out the last of the Fireforge models, we have a unit of Pegasus Knights. These are sold under the Albion Pegasus Knights label, and they come as a unit of 4. I kept 3 to make a unit of knights, and the fourth will become a Lord on Barded Pegasus. I wanted the knights to match, and I had some spare horseless Knights of the Realm, so I swapped them out. Luckily, the scale works decently, with the GW ones being a tad bigger. 

Bretonnian Lords

Here's that Lord on Barded Pegasus next to Leon Leoncoeur, who in the timeline for The Old World isn't born yet, so he's just a generic Lord on Hippogryph. I will most likely rebase the barded pegasus, as I'm not a big fan of the stone basing to get the flying look. I'll probably just use a flying stand, I think it'll look better. 

Bretonnian Heroes

More heroes now. I have my Damsel/Prophetess on foot, who is technically a Wood Elf model that I've converted into a Bretonnian Handmaiden. I internally justify it as the reason she has magical abilities is that secretly she is a half-elf. Next to her is a neat little conversion I discovered. The new Duke on Royal Pegasus model has an option to build a Baron instead. Well, I took that extra Baron torso and stuck it onto some Knights of the Realms legs, and it worked really well, no cutting or sanding required. 

Bretonnian Baron on Warhorse

With the way the cape flows over the horse, I think that this is almost intentional. 

Bretonnian Baron on Warhorse

I did run out of horse heads though, so I made do with a head from the Empire Knights kit. I'll probably do a little bit more green stuffing to get the barding on the head to match the rest of the knights. 

Bretonnian Knights of the Realm

Then we have 3 lances of Knights of the Realm. A lot of these have little conversions on them to make them unique, that'll eventually be picked out when it comes to painting. 

Bretonnian Battle Standard Bearer

And finally to wrap it all up, we have my Battle Standard Bearer. I know that this is a Questing Knight standard bearer, but I don't have the rest of the unit, so I made him my army's standard bearer. Plus I think he looks really cool. 

That's the army which has been taking up a lot of my time recently. Now that I've mostly got it organized, I'll have to go back to my Mordheim warband before that starts back up again. After that though, I may join a local The Old World league, so this army may pop up more often now.

-The Space Dinosaur

6 comments:

  1. Some fantastic conversions in this army SD, and it has a very distinct and individual feel that I really like. With the round bases, could you fill the movement tray around the round bases so you don't have to swap the bases ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! I could yes, and I'm thinking of doing that with my Cities of Sigmar army so I can swap it into an Empire army. For this army though I want everything to be consistent and match the look of Warhammer Fantasy, so squares it is.

      Delete
  2. More than a good start to a what will be a terrific army. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent start to your Bretonnian army and great that you don't have to use just GW figures!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! It is fun to branch out with different mini manufacturers.

      Delete