Hobby Table: Crossbowmen and How I Save Excess Paint on my Pallet

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with my thoughts on the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. Today we're taking a detour from Games Workshop models and looking at some models from Fireforge Games, in particular their Foot Sergeants built as crossbowmen. 

Fireforge Games Foot Sergeants Crossbows

I've briefly touched on Fireforge Games here before, where I used some of their models to proxy units from Bretonnia. I really like to use their models as it makes it much cheaper than buying used Bretonnian models from Ebay. You can buy directly from their store here, but they are a European country, so for those in the US like me, I would recommend Ebay or check out you local friendly gaming store.

I also mentioned in last year's review that I wouldn't be painting much of my Bretonnia army (which I've called Arequine) until the rest of my more playable factions were complete. Well, these guys ended up getting painted because of a time and cost saving technique I like to employ. While I'm painting models, I like to have a few back up hanging around just in case I pour too much of a certain amount of paint. If I do, I use some of that left over paint to paint those extra models. Over time they get close enough to completion that I can knock them out in a few minutes, and I've saved my precious mini paints. 

Fireforge Games Foot Sergeants with Crossbows

You'll notice that these guys use a lot of the same colors as some of my more recent painting projects. The Stardrake in particular provided a lot of the colors, with the maroon/burgundy color, the leather, the grey, and some of the metallics all coming from that one model project. The Sorceress on Black Dragon basically provided all of the colors on the red soldier furthest to the right. An added bonus is you get to try out color combinations you wouldn't otherwise use, and if you find any that you particularly like you can use it on future armies or models. 

So next time you're painting, give it a try and see if it moves your hobby along at a faster rate. I know it does for me. 

Now, for those that follow my blog, here's the traditional hobby table mini review:

Fireforge Games Foot Sergeant with Crossbow

For my overall thoughts on the model, I will judge it based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze.
 
My Fireforge Games Foot Sergeant review:

Sculpt: 6/10

For the price point, especially when compared to Games Workshop, these are great models and I highly recommend them. They're super easy to build, and the sprues have lots of nice options. But, there are some things I don't like. The detail isn't as crisp as GW, which doesn't matter too much for the basic troops, but this does carry over to the leader models as well, so take that into account. The models also come with a base that is molded to the legs, which might not be everyone's cup of tea. 

Ease of Painting: 5/5

Super easy to paint, even more so if you use the technique I describe above. You can knock out a fair few of these in an afternoon.

Final tips: Don't bother painting the eyes. From a gameplay perspective where you're looking down at the models, the helmets cover their eyes anyways. Just add some extra dark wash around where the eyes are and it hints at the shadows that normally form in that area on the human face. This saves a toooon of time. 

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment