Hobby Table: Converted Sorceress on "Black" Dragon

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with my thoughts on the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. Today I have an old High Elf dragon I lightly converted to become a Sorceress on Black Dragon.

Age of Sigmar Sorceress on Black Dragon
Continuing the trend of centerpiece models I have going with the General on Griffon, Lady Olynder, and the Stardrake, I have now completed another Black Dragon. Last year, I painted the official Black Dragon, which was originally a Dark Elf model. This model was for the High Elves, which could be built as either a Dragon Lord or a Wizard. Since I purchased this model on Ebay, I didn't get the option of what I wanted to build it as. It had a magnetized Dragon Lord, plus the wings weren't glued on, and the dragon was still on a square base. 

Age of Sigmar Sorceress on Black Dragon

I eventually replaced the square base with an oval one, but as time went on I misplaced the Dragon Lord, as so the dragon sat riderless. Fast forward a year, and I bought the Black Dragon kit, which I built as a Dreadlord. That meant I had left over bits for a sorceress, so I built one up, stuck a magnet on it, and my old dragon had a new rider. 

Age of Sigmar Sorceress on Black Dragon

Age of Sigmar Sorceress on Black Dragon

Age of Sigmar Sorceress on Black Dragon

I also added some bits to her to give her some coverage (I don't like the practically nude nature of the Daughters of Khaine, I don't care how good of a bladeswoman you are, you're gonna get stabbed really fast). The bits I used were from an Eldar kit from 40K that I just happened to have. And with that she was ready to ride. 

Age of Sigmar Sorceress on Black Dragon

Now all that was left was determining a color scheme. The obvious choice was black, after all it was going to represent a black dragon in game. But I had already done that so that would have been boring. So instead, I went with a bright red color scheme to hint at potential relationships between the big dragon and my Drakespawn Knights from earlier

Age of Sigmar Dragon

Of course I had to add the colors of this army, amber and turquoise, so I painted the reins with those colors. I also used turquoise in the highlights of the wings, which gave them a very nice pop, which looks even better in person. Now enjoy some more shots of the dragon, and continue on to the end for the traditional mini-review. 

Age of Sigmar Sorceress on Black Dragon

Age of Sigmar Sorceress on Black Dragon

Age of Sigmar Sorceress on Black Dragon

Age of Sigmar Sorceress on Black Dragon

Age of Sigmar Sorceress on Black Dragon

Now, as always, for my overall thoughts on the model, I will judge it based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze.
 
My "Sorceress on Black Dragon" review:

Sculpt: 5/10

Warhammer Fantasy fans may hate me for this, but this sculpt is really showing its age. Some of the details are chunky and minimal. The dragon looks starved, and its face doesn't have the most graceful look about it. To be fair, I would have built the dragon differently had I all of the parts, but that's not what happened and so I'll leave my review as is.  

Ease of Painting: 4/5

As with most things with scales, a basecoat, a wash, and a drybrush gets you 90% of the way there. Since there aren't many details on the model, it's pretty quick to get finished. I probably spent more time just base coating due to the size than anything. 

Final tips: Unless you really love this model, skip it. It's no longer in production, so even if you do find it, it'll be expensive, and at at that price point you're better off going for a more modern, nicer dragon sculpt. Hell, even the Dark Elf Black Dragon looks nicer in my opinion. But that's just me. 

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment