Hobby Table: Warhammer Underworlds Thorns of the Briar Queen

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with my thoughts on the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. Today's post will cover one of the warbands in the Warhammer Underworlds Nightvault starter box: the Thorns of the Briar Queen. 

Fully Painted Thorns of the Briar Queen Warband

I long ago completed the other half of this box, the Cursebreakers, and I figured it was high time to check off that box as completed. With 7 models in the set however, I knew it would be a little more involved than the Stormcast half, especially since Sigmar's poster boys are very easy to paint. Fortunately for me, I have a pretty established Nighthaunt paint scheme that I use, as well as having painted some other Nighthaut heroes relatively recently

Age of Sigmar The Briar Queen Nighthaunt

As the titular character of this Underworlds warband, the Briar Queen was the model I chose first to paint. She largely follows the same convention as the Tomb Banshee I painted for my How to Paint Nighthaunt article (linked above), with a few minor tweaks due to the increased detail. The most obvious (and coolest in my opinion) extra detail is the swirling vine she's magically controlling. This is a simple coat of Army Painter (AP) Necrotic Green washed with Green Tone from the same company. The roses are painted with Dragon Red (AP) and washed with Red Tone (AP). Easy. 

Warhammer Underworlds Briar Queen Nighthaunt

The minions all followed the same principles, except each one had slightly different details that required a bit of extra work compared to the normal Chainrasps that you can get. I really love all the character that is given to these models through these details though, especially the hanged man model. That's one of the best things about Warhammer Underworlds, where the sculptors can take bog-standard chaff models and really crank them up to 11. 

From here enjoy some pictures of the rest of the unit, and stick around till the end for my traditional mini review of the models. 

Warhammer Underworlds Thorns of the Briar Queen

Warhammer Underworlds Thorns of the Briar Queen

Warhammer Underworlds Thorns of the Briar Queen

Warhammer Underworlds Thorns of the Briar Queen

As always, I will judge this unit based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze.
 
My Warhammer Underworlds Thorns of the Briar Queen review:

Sculpts: 8/10

The Nighthaunt range as a whole is fantastic, especially in the use of negative space to create evocative and dynamic poses. This set takes that, and the concept of the Nighthaunt, to another level. I really enjoyed painting these and they'd make a fine addition to anyones collection. 

Ease of Painting: 4/5

Just like the other Nighthaunt units, these are just as easy to paint. They do have a few more details though that can slow you down, especially if you're batch painting. 

Final tips: The chainrasps all share the same basic body. So batch paint all of the details that are the same on all of the models to speed up the process. Then return to get those little variances. 

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment