Hobby Table: Cities of Sigmar Freeguild Guard and Bonus Volley Gun

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with my thoughts on the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. Today's post will quickly cover some more Freeguild Guard that I've completed, this time of the sword wielding variety, plus a bonus Helblaster Volley Gun.

Age of Sigmar Cities of Sigmar Freeguild Guard

Freeguild Guard have featured on this blog before, although they were of the sixth edition variety. These on the other hand are new and "improved", although I would argue that they don't look all that much better than the older editions. Some of the details are much better, such as the armor and banners, but I don't like the haphazard look of the models. Yes, I know that these are supposed to look like conscripted models, but the Empire already had Empire Militia models to represent that. The old models had a cohesive, proffessional army look about them that's missing from these newer models. 

Age of Sigmar Cities of Sigmar Freeguild Guard

That's not to say it's all bad. The kit is fairly modular, and you can mix and match all of the different bits to make each model a unique individual. This is more than can be said for the old kit, where there's only 3 different pose options. The banners and drums definitely look a lot better as well. 

Age of Sigmar Cities of Sigmar Freeguild Guard

The Volley Gun has also appeared on the blog before, and just like the Guards from earlier, it was from an earlier version of Warhammer Fantasy. Unlike the guards, I have the say that the new Volley gun is a much improved version of the older one. It adds details where necessary without clogging up the model and making it look to busy. 

Age of Sigmar Cities of Sigmar Helblaster Volley Gun

Now for my overall thoughts on the model, I will judge it based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze.
 
My Freeguild Guard review:

Sculpt: 3/10

These sculpts aren't really my cup of tea for the reasons I've stated, although the customization helps make up for it somewhat.  

Ease of Painting: 4/5

They are still easy models to paint, but with all of the extra details it'll take you a little bit more time than the older sculpts. 

Final tips: If the large amount of details bothers you, paint things with a leather brown. From a distance it works and you don't have to use 10 different colors per model. 

-The Space Dinosaur


No comments:

Post a Comment