Hobby Table: Nighthaunt Heroes, Guardian of Souls and Spirit Torment

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with my thoughts on the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. Today's post will cover two Nighthaunt heroes, the store anniversary Guardian of Souls, and the Soul Wars easy to build Spirit Torment. 

Age of Sigmar Nighthaunt Guardian of Souls

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with limited edition models with special rules. On the one hand, it's really neat to have a unique model that many may not have. On the other, if I miss the chance to get it, I don't want to pay (and I won't) exorbitant prices to get a hold of one. Luckily, my buddy threw this model in with some other Nighthaunt models that I bought off of him, so I didn't have to worry too much. 

Age of Sigmar Nighthaunt Guardian of Souls

There was already a tad of purple basecoating on this model, which worked out great for me as I painted my first Guardian of Souls with purple robes. Now they can be buddies in the afterlife. Purple was originally going to be the color scheme for all of my Nighthaunt before I settled on something a little bit more standard, but it's nice to mix it up from time to time. 

Age of Sigmar Nighthaunt Guardian of Souls

I really like this model, but my only qualm with it are the rules. I dislike that GW will release limited edition models with different rules, especially when those rules are really good. And then don't publish them in the battletome or on the app, making them hard to find. I'm fully capable of proxying or even converting, but if I can't find official channels for rules I don't like to spring that on my opponents. Oh well, in friendly games I can use his rules, otherwise he makes for a nice standard Guardian of Souls. 

Age of Sigmar Nighthaunt Spirit Torment

Pivoting slightly but still within the realm of ghosts, I also painted up a Spirit Torment, one who had languished half finished for quite some time. It was a really easy job, and I've refined my painting style for Nighthaunt to the point I can easily knock one out. The model is pretty flimsy though, I broke off one of the chains and had to carefully glue it back in. 

Age of Sigmar Nighthaunt Spirit Torment

Now to wrap things up, I'll judge each model based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze. 

Guardian of Souls
Sculpt: 8/10
Excellent use of negative space and sculpting to convey a sense of ethereal movement through the wind. I also really love the hourglass. 
Ease of Painting: 5/5

Spirit Torment
Sculpt: 7/10
A good sculpt but flimsy. Better than average but not the pinnacle of Nighthaunt design. 
Ease of Painting: 5/5

Final tips: Both models are very easy to paint, but take care as both can be fragile. 

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment