Hobby | Funboat Gunboat (Season of Scenery 2024)

We now return from outer space, away from the high tech past into our much lower tech past with some gunboats for Black Seas. The name makes them sound more threatening than they are, but if enough of them get into your face you can be in a world of pain. 

Warlord Games Black Seas Gunboats

This is a resin kit from Warlord Games. Ordinarily, all 3 are sculpted into the same base, but I didn't really like the look of that. Like at all. It just looked like a big clunky circle with masts sticking out of it. I got the idea from JJ's Wargames to split out the 3 gunboats into 3 separate miniatures. With lots of hacking and sawing and cursing, I had all 3 more or less intact. 

Warlord Games Black Seas Gunboats

I had to do a little bit of sculpting and sanding to get these back into shape. I did lose the planking details on the sides of the boats, but there wasn't much of it to begin with. The masts are made of metal, which makes them very top heavy and not able to stand up on their own. This did mean that I had to bite the bullet and get some bases for these guys, but I don't think they turned out bad at all. 

Warlord Games Black Seas Gunboats

I painted them with British colors, so ostensibly they are for that faction, but I left the flags off so if the need arises I can use them in a different fleet. Here they are harassing my pirate schooner from earlier, which should give you a sense of scale. With all 3 on different bases, this means I can use them in smaller scale games where the fights are between these diminutive combatants instead of the mighty ships of the line. If I ever need to use them in a larger game, I'll just clump them together and that more or less matches the footprint of the original model. 

-The Space Dinosaur

8 comments:

  1. Very effective SD, the clear bases work, and totally agree about having them individual as I've done similar with my Armada fighters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll have to take a look at your Armada fighters, that sounds like an interesting way of doing them.

      Delete
  2. Great job. Way to take a good idea and make it your own. Came out great. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always much easier to build on someone else's ideas than to make your own haha!

      Delete
  3. Nicely done. You made a terrific job with them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really happy with them and it makes it easier to play with them I think.

      Delete
  4. Nice finish, the bases work really well I think?!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete