Hobby | Black Seas Schooner

Before I shift my attention back to Mordheim, I was able to pop out another model from Black Seas. This time it's a topsail schooner, which comes in a box of 6 with 3 variations. The models are all metal, which has some benefits when compared to the metal and resin from the previous ship, the Merchant Vessel

Warlord Games Black Seas Schooner

This was a fun little model to paint, and a tad less fiddly despite the smaller size. The sails are integrated with the masts (other than the little topsail), which means that the masts are much more robust and much less prone to bending while you work on them, either with painting or rigging. 

Warlord Games Black Seas Schooner

The downside is that the model is very top heavy and prone to tipping over. This means you really have to seal the model to avoid chipping, especially on the tips of the yards. I really don't want to base these models as I think they look better without, but sadly it might be necessary for some of these smaller models. They're quite fragile for what are meant to be gaming models. 

Warlord Games Black Seas Schooner

I want a small pirate/privateer fleet for the game, just because I think any Age of Sail game would feel sadder without their inclusion. So this crew has raised the black and are hunting around for treasure. I loosely based the color scheme off of the Pirates CSG Panda, one of my favorite ships from that game. 

Warlord Games Black Seas Schooner

Again this shows off how closely the scale works in certain instances. 

Warlord Games Black Seas Schooner

The next ship will most likely be slightly larger, the two-masted brig. And in plastic, so we'll see how that compares to my experience. 

-The Space Dinosaur

6 comments:

  1. Excellent work on the schooner SD, looks very effective, shame if you have to base them, but if it protects the models, it's got to be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I'm trying to see if I can get magnets to work, but the base of the schooner is so thin that I don't think the magnets I have would work, so I may try something else.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely delightful, I love how it looks. Awesome work on the rigging too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, real ships are stout constructions of wood and steel but ship minis are delicate little girls. I know.
    A clear base is a good option.
    The schooner looks really great. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good way to put it.
      Clear bases is most likely the way I'll go, maybe I can attach some magnets so I don't always have to have the bases.
      Thank you!

      Delete