Review | X-Wing Battle of Yavin

Not a lot of photos, and a bit of a short one, but I squeezed in a game of X-Wing. We played a 3-player game of the AMG scenario, Battle of Yavin, with myself as the Empire and the other two taking command of the Rebel forces looking to destroy the Death Star. 

X-Wing Battle of Yavin

Right off the bat: I really liked this scenario. It's a fun way to mix up the dogfight game experience without resorting to contrived scenarios like, grab the satellite. Instead you're trying to see if you can pull off a Luke Skywalker, or if Darth Vader could have actually prevented a terrorist attack. It's great. 

The contents include the rules, ship tiles, trench tiles, and AMG's contribution to the game, standard loadout cards. These are great, as instead of having to fuss around with lots of upgrade cards, it's all present on the cards. Much easier and cleaner. 

The game is balanced out by not allowing the Rebels to enter the trench until round 4 so that they can't just bum rush the objective. The Empire also gets to bring in reinforcements on round 3, which allows some sneaky backstabbing maneuvers. And of course the Millenium Falcon gets to show up late as well on round 5, as it did in the movie. I will say, round 4 felt a little late and I found myself having to pull my punches to keep from crippling the Rebels and let the game play out. Gotta keep new players interested. In the end the Rebels did manage to get into the trench and blow up the Death Star. 

All of us enjoyed the game, even my wife who is not normally into wargaming, so I count this as a win. I do wish that they included points or like a standard roster to play the game with, as going to find the points for all the models in the PDF and trying to balance things out is quite annoying, and prevents this from being a straight-out-of-the-box experience in my eyes. I would still highly recommend it though! 

-The Space Dinosaur

4 comments:

  1. Is this a new scenario? I swear I played something exactly like this about…15 years ago.
    It was fun then too. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As in the last few years, yes. Definitely newer than 15 though! But it is a Death Star trench run, I'm sure there's hundreds of variants out there.

      Delete
  2. Swear I'd already left a comment, but will try again ! LOL
    Great battle report, and sounds like everyone had fun, which is the main thing. Agree the trench run seems late at turn four, especially as they were doing it from the outset in the movie, maybe you could adjust it to turn 3 to coincide with the reinforcement's to make it more competitive, or only Y-wings make a run before turn 4, and once they are wiped out they need to wait until turn 4, just some ideas to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I hate how that happens sometimes!
      Ooh I think that's a great idea with having the Y-Wings have to go in first, great way to encourage to take some of those instead of all X-Wings and makes it a little more even. Next time I play I think I'll implement that.

      Delete