Hobby | Black Seas Brig (Season of Scenery 2024)

With the Mordheim campaign in full swing now, Black Seas is taking a pause, but not before I finished painting one of their plastic ships, the dimunutive brig, this one in Royal Navy colors.

Warlord Games Black Seas Brig

The plastic model actually painted up fairly quickly, as I didn't have to worry about chipping as much as with the metal and resin models. As I said above, I went with Royal Navy colors, which is quite a simple scheme: a yellow ochre stripe on a black hull with a dash of red on the interior walls (the gunwhales?) of the hull. 

Warlord Games Black Seas Brig

What did surprise me was the rigging. I was expecting the plastic to be easier than the white metal masts, but it turns out the plastic is so elastic that it'll bow if you put too much tension into the rope. The metal masts are much more resistant to this. So it took me a little bit of finagling and cursing to get it right. I have gotten more comfortable with it though, as I added a little bit more rigging than either of the other two ships so far. 

Warlord Games Black Seas Brig

The yards got their ropes, which I think actually adds a splash of color with the black rope against the white sails. Technically I think this is supposed to be "running" rigging, which is typically a lighter color, but ain't nobody got time for that. 

Warlord Games Black Seas Brig

I debated giving a name to each ship, but have decided against it as it lets me use them in more theaters. I will mostly be focusing on the War of 1812, so this brig can serve double duty in the Atlantic/West Indies theater as much as in the Great Lakes. This also serves as my first entry into Wargamesculptor's Season of Scenery challenge, as this is technically a vehicle

-The Space Dinosaur

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. I love what you did here. The rigging really adds a lot to any ship. I've only done it with a plastic one, and I know what you say about the elasticiy of plastic. It may be an issue in the long term, but it should be safe if you don't handle it too much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice job. I didn't differentiate between standing and running rigging either on my ships.
    Yeah, I GUESS technically it is a vehicle. Technically correct is the best kind correct. 😁

    ReplyDelete