Space Din-O-Pinions | When Your Crafting Skills Translate to Something Useful

This is for all of those times when people ask you: but is this useful? Why do you spend so much time hobbying? Well now you can answer to all of these fictional doubters: because sometimes, very rarely, it actually translates to the real world. 


I had this little crack in the back of a very well loved surfboard that I acquired recently. I could take it to a surf repair shop, but I bought the thing cheap, and getting it professionally repaired would defeat the purpose of being a cheapo in the first place. 

I looked at some tutorials online, and a lot of it involved resin pouring. Well guess what. I've done some work with resin before. Not anything with two part resins, but that's just mixing and math. I've also done mold making and sanding, and generally getting things that weren't meant to be a whole to look like they belong together

A short hop and a skip from being an Only Fans account. 

And boom. With some elbow grease, a bit of cursing, and inadvertent feet pics, we have a repaired surfboard. Is it the best ever? No, not by a long shot, but did it only cost me $20 and an afternoon. Yup. And now all of those years of hobby skills are amounting to something. And now I know how to work with fiberglass. So if that ever becomes a concern in my war dolls hobby, I'm ready

Not pictured: me

-The Space Dinosaur

6 comments:

  1. There are so many transferable skills from this hobby that we often take for granted, Excellent looking repair on the board, did you add some mating in as well ? I did similar on my neighbours board for him, but there were a lot more holes to fill, plus we had to put in some new fixing screws for the fins, but the board worked a treat afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did add some extra fiberglass cloth, I filled in the gap with some two-part resin and q-cell filler, then added the cloth and another layer of resin, then a final top-coat of resin.

      Board is working great now, cool to hear you've done some similar stuff!

      Delete
  2. oh, that's why you moved to Socal, surfing. 😁
    I feel the same way when I use a power tool that I bought for miniature wargaming to fix something around the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha and work and family, all that boring stuff. Looks like I ended up where you started though haha.

      I get that too haha, especially with some random little tool.

      Delete
  3. Great looking bit of repair work, nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete