Hobby | Converted Saurus Warriors & Skink Alphas

After that first test model, I pressed on and got a unit of five Saurus Warriors converted from the Lizardmen Blood Bowl team. There's also a pair of sneaky Skinks that I've converted further down in the photos if that's more your speed. I enjoyed making these models, and I'm glad that the new Seraphon kits come with a decent amount of bits to make it all possible. 

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

As I mentioned in the previous post, I had originally intended for these to be Kroxigor, but with the new scale increase, they could now work as normal Saurus Warriors. One of my criticisms with the new kit compared to the old warrior kit are the weapons. The hand weapons and spears are still there, but in the old kit you had tons of variety with the hand weapons. There were clubs, maces, swords, and hammers. Now you just get clubs. They're good looking clubs, don't get me wrong, but no variety? 

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

Luckily for me, the new Aggradon Lancers kit comes with these nifty....war pikes? Club swords? They're different from the base clubs, which is all I was looking for. There are four of these in the kit, and if you build the lancers with spears, you'll have all four available for kit bashing. And if you build the drummer and banner bearer, you'll have two extra shields, which if you add them to the extras from the Warrior kit, you'll have four shields. I'm still missing the fifth shield to really wrap up this kitbash, but I'll figure that out in the future. 

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

All of these conversions were quite easy. All of the weapons just required a slight trim to get them flat, and I just clipped the right hands off of the models. A bit of sanding to get it flat, then I just glue the joins together. The scale is the same, so it looks quite natural. 

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

Most of the shields are just glued straight onto the left hands of the model. It just works. There was a shield hand bit that I was able to use to get a slightly different angle on of the models. For the alpha, I took one of the headcrests from the Blood Bowl skinks, clipped off the face guard, and glued it right to the top of his head. 

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

For the charging models, the posing isn't as natural as I'd like, but I didn't want to get to involved with the conversion. Sadly, the Blood Bowl kits have lots of repeat poses, so in a unit of 5 you'll have at least two identical models. 

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

I tried getting around this by equipping at least one of the repeats differently. I took a banner from the old, now defunct Saurus Knight kit and used that for the banner bearer of the unit. This also helped with the weapons, as I only had four of them.

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

I added just a bit more banner pole from an old Saurus Warrior spear so that it would connect to the ground. This had the added benefit of giving me an extra point to glue the model to the base. This pose is barely on the base due to the wide stance. 

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

This skink uses an extra shield from the Hunters of Huanchi and a spear from the Stegadon kit that I believe belongs to the Skink Chief. I intend to use him as a unit champion for a Skink unit. I just clipped his arms off at the shoulders and the bits just glued right on at the flat joints. 

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

The second skink uses another shield from the Hunters of Huanchi, and an arm and weapon from the Terradon kits. Now I have some nice variety within my skink units and it won't all be such a blur.

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

Converted Lizardmen Blood Bowl Team

I still have a Saurus left, 2 skinks, and 2 chameleon skinks from the Blood Bowl kit. Not really sure what I'll do with them at this point. Saurus Warriors are technically 10 man units, but I figured I would sprinkle these guys in for some variety. 

Let me know what you think in the comments below! 
-The Space Dinosaur

4 comments:

  1. Nice job with all the conversions. The hand join seems rather...seamless. I always sucked at those so don't do them very often. These are some cool miniatures, like lizard Aztecs to my unknowing eyes. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that a lot of times they have some kind of jewelry to hide those seams. That's pretty much exactly what they are! Always loved that combo.

      Delete
  2. Great looking conversions, and nice blog!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete