Review | Seraphon Lord Kroak

Yes, I know, this kit didn’t come out with the latest range refresh. However, it was the herald of things to come. As with a lot of what I do in this hobby, procrastination was involved (that’s been something of a theme lately). I did actually buy this kit when it came out. With life such as it is though, I’m finally focusing on getting all of my unbuilt kits done, so here goes on the big man himself, King of the Toads, Lord Kroak.
Lord Kroak Review

Immediately, the model comes across as cool. A little busy, but I think it’s one hell of a glowup for this venerable Warhammer character. Lord Kroak has been kicking around since the old Warhammer Fantasy Battle days, when he was floating around in the continent of Lustria. Nowadays, he finds himself in the world of Age of Sigmar, and he got a sweet new ride, which is how we all know you get the ladies. The model is much larger than the old version, and much more intricate and detailed. I am missing the banner part of the throne and I added some leaves on the old one, but the point still stands. 

Lord Kroak Review

His little skink attendant even made it with him, except he is now flesh and blood instead of a little mummified guy. Kinda wish he stayed skeletal, but it makes sense lore wise as only the Slann get turned into relic priests, not their skinks. 

Lord Kroak Review

The vegetation and the the floating stones circling the model also lend it a sense of motion and place. He's clearly been floating through a dense, cloying jungle, and I can almost hear the subtle thrum of arcane machinery as the stones move about him. 

Lord Kroak Review

I've also noticed that GW have been going back to the Lizardmen roots for this refresh. This new mini is evocative of old artwork of Lord Kroak, from 6th edition WHFB I believe, I'm not really sure. The pose, the death mask, the scepters, it's all there, and I think it's a really cool thing that they're doing. 

Lord Kroak Review

Lord Kroak Review

He even has his serpent banner, although it's not exactly a cobra. 

Lord Kroak Review

From a building perspective, this model was very precise. You want to make sure that you take care in early steps to get all the joins flush, otherwise you'll have to deal with some gaps later. This was also the case on the new Slann Starmaster, but I actually think this model was more forgiving when it comes to that. The swirly bits definitely were fiddly, and I left it in subassemblies so that when it comes time to painting I won't want to kill my past self. You can see below how I left it if that's how you want to do yours. 

Lord Kroak Review

This is a 10/10 of model for me. I am a little biased, I mean I am the Space Dino after all, but I think this was a very well done refresh of a classic model. It was a joy to build, and I was finding little details all throughout the build process. This would make an excellent addition to anyone's collection.

-The Space Dinosaur

6 comments:

  1. It's a great mini and one I'll be picking up at some point. I wanted to get the old slann that's made to order but I'm hoping something dead or dwarfish comes along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can highly recommend it. I was tempted to get some of the Skink Chiefs, but at the price they were selling them for it didn't really make sense, especially since they would just get thrown in as unit champions. Dwarfs should have their day soon with the Old World.

      Delete
  2. It’s a very cool looking miniature. More like a miniature diorama all on its own. I’d be scared to even attempt to paint such a thing. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pah! I've seen your Star Trek models with all their finicky little window details, you'd be fine.

      Delete
  3. Great looking model, there's a ton of work painting it I'm sure! You have to admire GWs development over the years in plastic figure design, compare this to the first beaky marines set I bought in Nottingham in 1987 when it came out , there's no comparison!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it'll be slow going when I eventually start painting this one. It's nuts to see, I have some of the older models and it's not even close in terms of quality.

      Delete