Hobby Table: Isharran Tidecaster

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with a mini-review of the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. Today I've completed another Idoneth Deepkin hero, the Isharran Tidecaster. 

Painted Idoneth Deepkin Isharran Tidecaster

A few months ago, I painted the Isharran Soulrender, which was my first go at an Idoneth model. There was a lot of work and experimentation to find the right paint scheme, and I was happy with the colors I arrived at. However, I wasn't happy with all of the color mixing I had to do for that model, so the goal while painting this Tidecaster was to find an easier way of going about it.

Painted Idoneth Deepkin Isharran Tidecaster

The biggest complication with the original is the blue-green armor. I discovered that Army Painter Necrotic Flesh washed with Army Painter Blue Tone got me the same results as mixing the paint. The big gain here is the paint color remains consistent, and I'm not wasting time or paint mixing it all up. 

Painted Idoneth Deepkin Isharran Tidecaster

Next, I wanted a pinker color for the coral than I was achieving. I bought a Vallejo color, Salmon Rose, that was closer to what I wanted. This was my first time working with Vallejo paints outside of primer, and I have to say they have excellent flow, color, and coverage, and I can highly recommend them. 

Painted Idoneth Deepkin Isharran Tidecaster

The skin tone was also darkened, as I figured that a coastal people would be more tanned. Instead of the lighter mix from the original, I used straight Kislev Flesh (GW), and washed it twice with Reikland Fleshshade (GW). For the eyelids and lips, I shaded with a smidge of Purple Tone (AP). 

Painted Idoneth Deepkin Isharran Tidecaster

I loved the silver fish from the first model, so I kept that up here. This time I used a green wash instead and left the belly completely silver. I like the look, but I might go back in and add some stripes for some visual interest. We'll see how I feel over time. 

Painted Idoneth Deepkin Isharran Tidecaster

 As with the first, I continued the volcanic sand basing, but I added more grass for some visual contrast. 


Now for my overall thoughts on the models, I will judge it based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze.
 
My Isharran Tidecaster review:


Sculpt: 8/10

The pose of the model is super strong, and in my imagination I can see the wave crashing up around her. The cape flow is wonderful, and I love the trim around it. I enjoy how graceful the model is, displaying that aspect of the sea quite well. I think I would prefer the model without the fish, but that's more subjective than anything. Also her hands seem oversized, but I know that's part of heroic scaled models. 

Ease of Painting: 4/5

Usually with models that have this much detail, they can be rather difficult. But in this case, I only had one sub assembly, and the brush was able to reach every where else. There aren't a ton of different textures, which is nice as well. 

Final tips: Keep the staff hand separate from the model, it makes it easier to reach those details.

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment