Paint Recipe: How to Paint the Isharran Soulrender

Get ready for a Paint Recipe by Space Dinosaur Minis, where I go in depth with a paint scheme, covering the paints, materials and techniques that I use to achieve my style. Today marks the first of the Idoneth army to join my ranks, the Isharran Soulrender. 

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Paint Scheme Isharran Soulrender

Now, long time readers may remember an Eidolon of Mathlann that I painted a while ago. That model however already had some paint on it when I got it, and I ended up selling it anyways to lighten the costs of this new army. Besides, since it already had some paint it wasn't exactly my color scheme was it? No I wanted something different, and I decided that I wanted to avoid metallics as much as possible. Originally, I wanted the armor to appear as if it was made of coral, but I hated the look. That color combination did make its way to the final color scheme though on the crest. 

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Paint Scheme Isharran Soulrender

After some fumbling about, I decided to browse the interwebs for inspiration, eventually finding this mini on Dakka Dakka. With the basic idea in my mind, I set out to add my own twist to the paint scheme. 

Skin: There isn't a lot of skin on this model but it was the first thing I painted. It's a 50/50 mix of Skeleton Bone (AP) and Kislev Flesh (GW) washed with Agrax Earthshade (GW). 

Armor: 50/50 mix of Goblin Green (AP) and Skeleton Bone (AP). The resulting color is a nice palm green, although my next objective is finding a paint that gets me the right color green without needing to mix it. I then wash all of the green with Blue Tone (AP). Be careful not to let this dry in pools otherwise it ends up looking rather unsightly. I do a bit of highlighting with the earlier 50/50 mix, but that is mostly a clean up step.

Cloth/Haft: The red is Dragon Red (AP) washed with Agrax Earthshade (GW) all over. I painted Nuln Oil (GW) into the deepest crevices for further contrast.

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Paint Scheme Isharran Soulrender

Plume: I started with a Hydra Turquoise (AP) basecoat that I then drybrushed with Electric Blue (AP). For the fade effect, I used Blue Tone (AP) and Nuln Oil (GW) to get the desired transition.

Weapon/Trim: Skeleton Bone (AP) washed with Agrax Earthshade (GW), then highlights of Skeleton Bone (AP) and some Matt White (AP) thrown in with various quantities to get the right highlight I wanted. 

Rope: Simple, Leather Brown (AP) washed with, you guessed it, Agrax Earthshade (GW).  

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Paint Scheme Isharran Soulrender

Fish: This was rather fun as one of the few places I used metallics. The body is Shining Silver (AP) and I used Blue Tone (AP) on the top of the body and Cassandora Yellow (GW) for the fins, with several coatings to get the intensity I wanted.  

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Paint Scheme Isharran Soulrender

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Paint Scheme Isharran Soulrender

Crest: Barbarian Flesh (AP) to get a nice pink basecoat. Then washed with a heavily watered down Lava Orange (AP) to give it a slightly orange hue.

Lantern: Again, one of the only bits of metal on the model, and since the lantern is meant to be the focal point of the model, it helps to draw the eye there. Start with a Shining Silver (AP) base, then in the crevices paint Waystone Green (GW). Wash with Biel-Tan Green (GW) all over, the with Nuln Oil (GW) at the bottom. After it was dry, I painted a very thin layer of Blue Tone (AP) over top lessen the green. 

Jewels: Just straight Shining Silver (AP). 

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Paint Scheme Isharran Soulrender

The base uses Geek Gaming Scenics Volcanic earth to achieve a tropical island look I was going for. It has a bit of shine to it, and I think it sells the effect well. In future models, I may mix up the vegetation I use to sell that effect more. 

-The Space Dinosaur
 

No comments:

Post a Comment