Hobby Table: Skaven Warplock Jezzails

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with a mini-review of the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. For today's post I have a group of Skaven Warplock Jezzails, those most excellent rodent snipers. 

Painted Skaven Warplock Jezzails

I'm going to be honest: I don't know how many Jezzails belong in a unit of Jezzails. I have used these models once before, in a skirmish game where they were separate units so I didn't have to care. Well, I basically decided to just paint all of the ones I had, so I have 4 total now to play with. These are the old metal ones, and unfortunately, they are still sold by GW in units of 3 for $55. When will they get replaced? Your guess is as good as mine, but for that price I wouldn't buy these. Luckily, I got this quartet as part of an Ebay lot. 

Painted Skaven Warplock Jezzails

The models themselves are all very same-y, with a couple of options for differentiation, notably in the shield and and less so with the actual jezzail. I could have done a better job of adding color to give each model a different look, but hey, I got lazy with these. 

Painted Skaven Warplock Jezzails

Most of my effort went into fixing the square bases that these came glued to. I used the same technique I used waaay back in one of my first "revamp" post, where I discussed using 3D printed base adapters. Trying this technique again, I have to say, was not my favorite. It would have been easier to just remove them from the original square and put them on new ovals. Unlike the original attempt, which had texturing I was trying to save, these were still on plain bases. Live and learn I guess. 

Painted Skaven Warplock Engineers

Painting mostly involved touch ups and adding some much needed color. The tails and ears got some pink, various bits of weaponry got bronze detailing, and I added some spot colors of bright green to suggest a touch of warpstone. One big downside with metal is that it chips easily, and the rest of my time was spent fixing up all of the places where the paint had chipped, which was a lot. 

Painted Skaven Warplock Jezzails

Now for my overall thoughts on the models, I will judge it based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze.
 
My Skaven Warplock Jezzails review:


Sculpt: 4/10

I'm sure that people out there find these models charming. But as for me, I do not have nostalgia when it comes to these, so I think they look rather bad and chunky, especially compared to more modern Skaven sculpts. They are all very similar to each other and require that the painter create most of the variation. 

Ease of Painting: 5/5

Since these models are so chunky and have minimal detail, painting is a breeze. Nothing special here, and you can get a decent look fairly quickly.  

Final tips: Wait till GW makes new models, convert your own, or get some 3D printed ones. All of them would look nicer than these. 

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment