Hobby Table: Dominion Kruleboyz Gutrippaz

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with a mini-review of the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. For today's post I've finished painting a unit of Gutrippaz from the new Kruleboyz range that was introduced in Dominion. 

Painted Kruleboyz Gutrippaz

I had promised myself that, when purchasing Dominion, I would only keep the Stormcast Eternals side of the force. After all, the last time I had tried to have a Destruction army, it didn't pan out and I ended up selling off my Gloomspite Gitz army. Well, it turns out that I really liked the models, and I ended up building the Kruleboyz half and keeping it. Then, I got a discount Dominion box, and lo and behold, I now had double the Kruleboyz. I ended up buying a few more units to round out the force and have some variety, and it should be a fun 1000 point army. 

Painted Kruleboyz Gutrippaz

I wanted this paint job to be quick and easy. I bought this unit on Ebay, already primed and based with texture (hence the slightly sloppy base rims). Normally I spend a lot of time trying to paint within the lines, but since these guys are swampy and dirty I didn't want to waste my time with that. And you know what, I'm really happy how they came out anyways. The green and red contrast very nicely, and the muted leather brown helps bring it all together. 

Painted Kruleboyz Gutrippaz

The bases were also kept fairly simple, although I did add a bit of Woodland Scenics Realistic Water to areas to give it a damp look. I really loved the fallen leaves look, although for future bases I may try to spice it up a little more. I should have cleaned up the base rims more, but again, I wanted this to be quicker than my usual painting time. 

Painted Kruleboyz Gutrippaz

Contrast Wyldwood really came in handy here, as I used it to paint all of the cloth and the back of the shields. A drybrush of Army Painter Leather Brown really gives it a nice, scratched leather look, and it was very easy and fast to paint with. I really need to use Contrast paints a little more, they're a big time saver. I also used this color on some of the wrappings around the arms and legs, but over a lighter base coat to give it a different hue. 

Painted Kruleboyz Gutrippaz

Now for my overall thoughts on the models, I will judge it based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze.
 
My Kruleboyz Gutrippaz review:


Sculpt: 8/10

I really like this new look for Orcs, as it feels reminiscent of the Lord of the Rings. The sculpts are all nicely done, with detail but not too overbearing. The shields are very fun to paint and give each model a lot of character. Unfortunately, these are easy to build, which means that there's not a lot of variety in building options. 

Ease of Painting: 4/5

With the shields glued on, it can be hard to reach certain areas of the model. You can do sub-assemblies on some of the models, but some of the others are fully attached and can't be done separately. Other than that, really easy to get these onto the table. 

Final tips: Some of the shields are interchangeable, so if you want a little extra variety you can try that. 

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment