Hobby Table: Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm

Today's post is a slightly different venture for me. This marks the arrival of the Idoneth Deepkin to the blog, an army I have had my eyes on since they were announced. The models are lovely and allow for a very bright color pallet, which I usually only get from my Seraphon army

Now a disclaimer. Recently, I came upon this army on eBay that I thought was a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, this hobby being what it is, it was an expensive purchase. I made a deal with my spouse that I would earn the purchase price back in some manner, and so I am making a foray into selling some painted miniatures. This particular model will be available for purchase for a limited time.

I want to let you know, dear reader, that this blog will not turn into an ad space for my sales. Since I've painted the miniatures and I want to display the paint styles and techniques that I develop, they will show up under the Hobby Table section. 

In the future, I fully intend to return to this model, as my younger brother gave me one for Christmas last year. That particular miniature will have all of my skill poured into it, and will remain a part of my collection. 

Now that the details are out of the way, we can get on to the model itself. Most of the miniatures in the lot came partially painted, but not up to the usual Space Dinosaur Miniature standard. I spent the majority of my effort on the water cape, which involved a fair amount of wet blending and glazing. A final drybrush of white and a coating of Ard Coat sell the look of a crashing wave. 


The inside of the coat got much the same treatment, but with the green extending even further down. The school of fish was painted with yellow to contrast with the cooler colors of the cape. 


The Eidolon himself wears a coat of heavy armor, which is a simple scheme of Shining Silver (AP) washed with Nuln Oil (GW). The gold trim and details are painted with Retributor Armor (GW) and washed with Reikland Fleshshade (GW). The highlights are painted with a 50/50 mix of Liberator Gold (GW) and Shining Silver (AP), which I discovered makes a very nice champagne color that I prefer as a highlight to gold instead of silver.


The base came painted blue, which I darkened with multiple coats of Blue and Green Tone (AP). Originally, the coral was supposed to be pink, which was painted with Barbarian Flesh (AP). I washed it with Cassandora Yellow (GW), which to my dismay but then joy, turned the pink into a very vibrant and smooth yellow. I'll definitely be using this technique again in the future for yellow. 


The little creatures along the base were painted in a variety of colors for the fun of it, and some I didn't even have to repaint, just needing some light touches here and there. A nice rim of black finished off the model. 

1 comment: