Hobby Table: Converting a Frost Giant

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with a mini-review of the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. Today is actually a bit of a departure from my standard Hobby Table post, as I discuss a WIP conversion I have for a giant model I have. 

Converted Caverns of the Frost Giant

Some time ago on this blog I reviewed the Epic Encounters: Caverns of the Frost Giant, which was an excellent box for D&D that I've repurposed for my games of Age of Sigmar. Now, I really like the model, especially for the price compared to GW's current line of giants (at an eye watering $195 pre-tax), but I did have some things I wanted to improve. The biggest factor for me was the over-large axe; it just looked ridiculous to me. Luckily, the GW kit comes with plenty of extra bits that folks are willing to part with, and I was lucky enough to have a friend who had the kit that gave me some bits. 

Converted Frost Giant for Age of Sigmar

I started by chopping off the axe and leaving just a stub of the handle. The canon club that comes with the model is hollow once built, and I could slip the club onto the stub left over. But it did still have a pretty big gap, so I had to go in with green stuff to rectify that. Making the wood texture was quite fun actually, and a good go at practicing my sculpting skills. I tried to match the contours of the GW club, and I think I succeeded. 

Converted Frost Giant for Age of Sigmar

On the back of the model I glued a bunch of the other bits I had. I was especially proud of making the tentacle work, as it is similar to how it appears on the official model. I added a few shield pieces, notably a shield that belongs to the Iron Golems. My plan with this model is to have it join the ranks of my Slaves to Darkness army as a Mega Gargant ally. The frosty nature of the giant fits well with the cold basing scheme of that army. All that's left now is figuring out the appropriately sized base and some painting, which knowing myself means it'll be done a few years from now.

Til then,
-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment