Hobby Table: Iron Golems Warcry Warband

Now that the 2021 hobby is in full swing, I set my eyes on completing the full Iron Golems Warcry warband. At first I was intimidated as each model is totally unique, so it would almost be like painting 8 hero characters. With painting complete, I learned that these are actually quite easy to paint. Not only that, they may be some of my favorite sculpts out of the Age of Sigmar range.
 

My Iron Golems are painted in the same manner as the rest of my Slaves to Darkness force, with blue armor, grey skin tones and snowy bases.


I did take a bit more care with each of these models, as the more I painted them the more I liked how they were sculpted. There's just so much character in each one, things you don't realize until you've labored over each one for a few hours.


This becomes even more apparent when you compare these models to older Chaos sculpts, like say Chaos Warriors. Compared to those these Iron Golems just spring to life. The anatomy and the way the loose armor pieces flow with the suggested movement of each model really gives a sense of weight and dynamism to each model.


I can also attest that these sculpts, as detailed as they are, let you paint as much or as little as you'd like. Slap a bit of Kislev Flesh (GW) and a quick wash of Reikland Fleshshade (GW) for the skin, and some Gunmetal (AP) and a Nuln Oil (GW) wash for all of the metals and Leather Brown (AP) for the weapon hafts and you have an incredibly easy, 3 color paint scheme. 


I opted to go a bit further with my scheme. Instead of the warm skin tone that Kislev Flesh gives, I went for Ash Grey (AP) as my base, as it gives a chilled, clammy skin tone that I think denotes the frigid mountain climate my army is based in. I also used 4 different metal tones for visual interest: blue, bronze, gunmetal, and gold. 

The blue obviously commands the most presence, and again, the cool color accentuates the cold climate of the model and stands out from the skin. The gunmetal of the chainmail is a more neutral tone, and allows the contrasting hues of the bronze and gold to stand out more without taking over the model. 


As I mentioned, the bronze and gold were used to contrast with the blue. Predominantly I used the bronze on the coin-like chainmail, with bits of gold painted in to break up the uniformity of the look. I also used gold on the faceplates to get a stark warm and cool contrast to dry the eye to the face. 


The last color to tie it all together is Chaotic Red (AP). This serves as a spot color, and when highlighted with Pure Red really pops from the model as a whole while still fitting in. 


When painting was complete, I based each model with snow to match the rest of the army, but added a few Middenland Tufts (GW) to some of the models for some variety. You can overdo this, so use it sparingly. 


That's the Iron Golems! They aren't the first Warcry set I've painted, but are definitely my favorite so far. One last picture of the warband as whole should wrap this up nicely. 


-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment