Hobby Table: Gone Batty with Age of Sigmar and Cursed City

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with a mini-review of the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. Today I have a collection of bats from the Age of Sigmar mainline game as well as from Cursed City. 

Age of Sigmar Fell Bats and Bat Swarms

What's this? Spooktober in January? After last week's post about the Gravekeeper you may think so, but it just happens to be the turn of the Soulblight Gravelords to get a few models in. I was lucky enough to get the updated Fell Bats at a discount for Black Friday, and considering that there's some bat swarms in Cursed City, I decided to batch paint the group as it would be easier and more efficient. 

Age of Sigmar Fell Bats and Bat Swarms

I briefly thought of having more flesh colored wings, but I liked the idea of all black models with a few details showing. The models all use a basecoat of Matte Black (AP) with some light drybrushing of Oak Brown (AP) on the fur. For the bigger Fell Bats, I did some drybrushing of Chaos Red (AP) on the inner wings to hint at blood vessels in the thin wing membranes. Grey drybrushing helped to bring out the rest of the details, and the same grey was used to paint the stone features. Yes, some contrast gets lost this way but you get some dark foreboding miniatures this way, at least I think so. 

Age of Sigmar Fell Bats and Bat Swarms

The big bats got a little bit more work put into them since the details are larger and more noticeable. Particularly around the faces, with the ears and teeth getting the most attention. The grey drybrushing also got enhanced with some good old fashioned edge highlights, which helped a lot in some places, such as the tail and the knuckle joints. Now enjoy some glamour shots before my mini-review at the end. 

Age of Sigmar Fell Bats

Age of Sigmar Fell Bats

Age of Sigmar Fell Bats

Age of Sigmar Fell Bats

Age of Sigmar Fell Bats

Now for my overall thoughts on the models, I will judge it based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze.
 
My Fell Bats/Bat Swarms review:


Sculpt: 8/10

I really love the simplicity of these models. No insane amount of details, but those that are there are perfect. The Dire Bat of the Bat Swarms looks a tad silly to me, but overall excellent. 

Ease of Painting: 5/5

I had no trouble painting all of these in a batch very quickly. 

Final tips: Paint everything together to get a nice consistency of color and save yourself time from having to switch out paints. 

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment