Hobby Table: Idoneth Deepkin Gloomtide Shipwreck

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with my thoughts on the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. Today's post will cover the Idoneth Deepkin faction terrain, the Gloomtide Shipwreck. Stick around until the end for a quick review of the model. 

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Gloomtide Shipwreck

As I mentioned in my Eidolon of Mathlann post, the Idoneth Deepkin are my newest army, which I purchased in one bulk lot from Ebay. Most of the models already had some paint on them, including the shipwreck, but really all it was was the initial brown base coat and some of the silver metallics blocked in. I will say it was nice not to have to get that initial brown base coat done, as this is a very large model, much more than I thought it would be. 

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Gloomtide Shipwreck

Before getting all the details painted, I painted the ground to look like mossy, damp stone. I had fun with this process as I could be messy here and not have to worry about painting within the lines. Lots of green paints were stippled or drybrushed on, as well as various washes of greens, blacks, and browns. I also added the green all over the boat itself.

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Gloomtide Shipwreck

After that I picked out all of the barnacles and nails around the ship. This was definitely the most time consuming part of the project, and I was constantly finding details I missed every time I picked up the model. It does add some nice variation though and helps to break up the brown. You can skip the nails if it's not your fancy though, it doesn't gain you much.

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Gloomtide Shipwreck

Next came all of the various sea life around the model: eels, starfish, clams, and even a stingray. I went with vibrant colors here, like oranges and yellows, as they stood out very well against the browns and greens of the ship. 

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Gloomtide Shipwreck

Again, there was a lot of these little critters all over, but some are pretty difficult to see unless you pick up the model and turn it over, so if you're looking to save some time it's safe to skip these. 

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Gloomtide Shipwreck

All that's left are some urns, bones, and other odds and ends. Paint them however you see fit. Remember, this is a grungy sunken ship, so you can cover details in green drybrushing and call it moss. This model lends itself well to being as easy or difficult as you'd like. 

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Gloomtide Shipwreck

With painting complete, you can now throw it on your table, where it will be a large and imposing presence on the board. I will say that I don't think the aesthetic of this terrain really fits in with the Idoneth. It's definitely not Elven, and fits in more with the human Cities of Sigmar look. This does make it easier to use as generic terrain though, and I could see it getting a lot of use in other games like D&D. 

Age of Sigmar Idoneth Deepkin Gloomtide Shipwreck

Now for Hobby Table tradition, I will judge the model based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze. 

My Gloomtide Shipwreck review:

Sculpt: 7/10

I think the design matches a shipwreck perfectly, but as an Idoneth terrain piece it looks generic and not tied to the faction at all. I do like all of the sea creatures and other little details throughout the model, and they don't clutter the design with unnecessary detail either. 

Ease of Painting: 4/5

This model is as easy or as hard as you want to make it. Once constructed, however, there are some hard to reach areas, knocking off a point on this score. 

Final tips: Go wild with colors and don't worry about a clean paint scheme. This model lets you slap some paint on in an afternoon while still looking good. 

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment