Happy Birthday! Revamped Space Dinosaur Miniatures Turns 1!

Another turn around the sun and this blog has achieved its first year after its revamp in April 2020. While the blog has been around since 2016, it never has survived more than a few months of posting (2016 had a total of 8 posts). It took a global pandemic and time on my hands in a lockdown for the blog to kick into its first year of real content. Almost 70 articles later, Space Dinosaur Minis is celebrating its first birthday, which also happens to coincide with the author's own birthday, although it is far from his first of those!

Space Dinosaur Miniatures

After all that time, let's take a quick look at how far the blog has come, looking at some of the best posts from each month.

April 2020:

The Dreaded Hobby Backlog: The post that kicked it all off and started me back on the blogging trail. 

Age of Sigmar Hobby Backlog

May 2020: 

Paint Recipe: Nighthaunt: My first big post to gain traction, and still popular to this day. I guess people like tutorials. It stayed my most viewed post for a bit. I also got a kitten this month, who loves to interfere with my hobby progress

How to Paint Nighthaunt


June 2020:

Paint Recipe: Raptoryx: Another painting guide that remains popular. Also my first Warcry models that I painted. 

How to paint Raptoryx


July 2020: 

Hobby Table: Chaos Lord on Karkadrak: The first post to unseat the Nighthaunt tutorial in numbers of views. Many really like the stark blue colors I use for my Slaves to Darkness army, as I still get questions about it on Reddit. Not even Nagash, whose post was a week later, could gain as much traction. 

How to paint Chaos Lord on Karkadrak


August 2020: 

Narrative: The Kingdom of Heldenmarch: My very first narrative post covering the home brew lore of one of my armies. Wildly popular, and still to this day has the 3rd most views of any of my articles. First time using a diorama background, which is now standard for the Space Dino. 

Cities of Sigmar


September 2020: 

Paint Recipe: Amber Fiefdoms: The quietest month of the year with only 2 posts. This was my attempt at using white backgrounds to photograph minis before I decided it looked boring. 

Lothern Sea Guard


October 2020: 

Narrative: The Tragedy of Ravenmarch: My first themed month, based on Halloween. I had lots of fun with this month, and produced the second of my narrative series focused on one of my armies. 

Skaven vs Legions of Nagash


November 2020: 

Gaming Table: Thanksgiving Free-for-all: I really enjoyed this game with my brothers, and due to Covid this was one of the few Gaming Table posts of the year. Hopefully this year there will be a few more of these. 

Skaven vs Stormcast Eternals


December 2020: 

Review: Space Dinosaur Miniatures: This post looked back at everything I had painted in 2020 an boy was it a lot. It felt really nice to see all of my progress in one picture, and I think this year I can beat it. 

Age of Sigmar Armies


January 2021: 

Tutorial: How to Make a Photo Booth: Here I design a new photo booth system that allows me to take nice mini photos with interesting backgrounds. From here on out all non-wip photos use this booth so I got a lot out of this project. It's also my number 2 most popular post. 

How to make a Miniature Photo Booth


February 2021: 

Gaming Table: Dragon of Icespire Peak: I love this post as it combines my love of stories with Age of Sigmar using the 5th Edition D&D rules. Plus I got to play with my brothers again. 

Dragon of Icespire Peak


March 2021:

Narrative: Understanding the Mortal Realms: Now for the last post of the first year, my most popular by a long shot, my explanation of how the Mortal Realms work in simple language. I'm very proud of this one as I designed it to meet a need I saw in the community. 

How do the mortal realms work?


Which brings us now to the present, April 2021. Here's to another good year and I hope you're all enjoying my content! If you have any suggestions please feel free to comment below or send me an email, I'm happy to help. 

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment