Hobby Table: Ravenack's Gnashing Jaws and Suffocating Gravetide

Since I've been focusing on my Seraphon recently for gaming purposes now that things are ramping back up, I've done a bit more work on the endless spells since my favorite dinos can take them in "bound" forms. Plus it's just nice to knock out a model in an afternoon. 


First up is Ravenack's Gnashing Jaws. I like to them spells to match whichever army I think would use it most, and the bestial nature of this spell just paired well with the Seraphon. I've actually painted it using the same colors I would use to paint and base a Saurus or skink, just larger obviously. This makes the spell like a summon of a great Seraphon deity, and as such I mentally call the spell Jaws of Sotek. 


Interestingly enough, there is room inside of the model for a starpriest or similarly size model to fit inside, almost as if they were summoning a great jaw around them. Perhaps one day I'll write custom rules to reflect that. But for now, we move on to the Suffocating Gravetide. 


The model is painted to blend with the typical base I use for all of my death armies, representative of their home of Ravenmarch. The crest of the wave is painted with the colors of my Nighthaunt army, blended a bit to smoothly transition from gravel and dirt to spectral skulls. 


What I'm most proud of are the sandstone gravestones scattered around the model. Normally I paint stones grey, but I wanted to try something new, and besides, grey stone would have blended in too much with the surrounding wave. 

The base is leather brown washed with Agrax Earthshade. One that layer is completely dry, stipple Skeleton Bone all over until you get decent coverage. This is what gives that granularity to the model which helps sell that it's sandstone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment