Hobby | Tiny Houses

Unfortunately for myself, I didn't complete more of these little buildings in time for the Season of Scenery challenge. Nonetheless, they are done for myself, so a win is still a win. These 3 buildings are a continuation of my previous post, where I started with 15mm ACW. They're MDF buildings from Sarissa Precision. More precisely, a dutch style barn, a stable barn, and a house. 

ACW 15mm Terrain

Starting with the largest and what I think is the most interesting, the stable barn. Technically, I think this is supposed to represent the Slyder barn at Gettysburg, but it looks generic enough to be of use anywhere else I'd like to use it. Plus, I wanted to paint brickwork along the side of it. 

ACW 15mm Terrain

This was a rather fun, if time consuming process. With all of these I left them on the wooden "sprue" to make it easier to paint. I then dabbed on one color of paint in speckled dots all over. 

ACW 15mm Terrain

Then repeated with a different color. 

ACW 15mm Terrain

Eventually all of the different colors would lead to the end result. Which I had wrap around the building and makes it seem as if the core of the structure is stone, with the additions being wood. 

ACW 15mm Terrain

ACW 15mm Terrain

The last face of the building is the least colorful, but are the large barn doors. I liked the rust that I added dripping down from the barring that I added a bit of it to all of the wood planking, which gives it a more aged and worn down look that's different than just dust. 

ACW 15mm Terrain

The next up is this little house. It uses the same wood plank color as the stable barn above, but I added some green to the doors to give it a little splash of color. 

ACW 15mm Terrain

MDF is quite absorptive, so the colors all became a little more muted than when they first went on. Which worked out for me in the end, as it helped give everything a more lived in look. 

ACW 15mm Terrain

I'm quite fond of the little chimneys, as they give even more of a splash of color than the doors, which helps make everything look a little less blob of grey. 

ACW 15mm Terrain

Finally, we have the dutch style barn, which is almost exactly the same as the last barn I made, but with no buttery barn extension and no chimneys. I gave it a few more coats of red though to give it a more saturated tone, and to help differentiate the two from each other if they ever find themselves on the table together. 

ACW 15mm Terrain

Overall, I really enjoyed painting these buildings as they were quick and easy to complete. Of course there's the odd annoying thing when working with MDF. The edges can be annoying and obvious. The structure itself can appear flat. But at this scale I don't think that's really an issue, and can actually make the building more readable at a glance. 

-The Space Dinosaur

5 comments:

  1. Great job. They look great. 😀
    If you’re going to need more 15mm ACW building I HIGHLY recommend Things From The Basement. Line is callled Farms of Gettysburg. Really nice and I think of higher quality of materials than Sarissa.
    I’m glad the barn is red. In my mind ALL barns are red. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew!
      Ah now you had to go and open those can of worms, those look really good.
      And of course, is there any other color a barn can be?

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work on all three SD, you've have a good mix of worn and newer looking to each piece, that gives a sense of realism to them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, exactly what I was going for so I'm glad that it worked out.

      Delete
  3. Excellent looking buildings, the thing that bugs me most are trying to get rid of the tabs with MDF buildings, first world problems I know! I especially like the cottage as it doesn't look at all European!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete