Gaming | In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there are Games I Don't Like

Now before we get down to the fact that I'm embroiled in a Necromunda campaign, yes, I finished the last Mordheim campaign. No I didn't post that here because I forgot to, and now I have photos for a game that I don't really remember. So instead of me rambling about it, know that Chaos won and I finally managed to get my Undead warband cooking. On to the subject at hand: Necromunda. My game group has lots of Necromunda players, and at the closer of the Mordheim campaign it was decided that we would all try a Hive Secundus game. After about 4 games, I can confidently say that I don't like the game very much at all.

Necromunda

Luckily for me, this is a game I have had 0% investment in so far. My friends are loaning the models, dice, and terrain, so all I have to do is show up. Plus I'm here for the friends anyways. The first campaign game was to get inside the walls of Hive Secunduds, while an opposing warband is attempting to stop you. I was the warband that would play keep away. We had 3 games going on simultaneously, which led to a very cool table set up. 

Necromunda
That's like 9 feet of wall

I was House Orlock going up against some mining squats. The big twist with this setting is that there are points on the map where genestealers can pop up, anything from brutes with stub pistols all the way up to actual, terrifying Tyranid Genestealers. Each individual model would go towards the nearest enemy, always seeking cover and never making a decision that would get them killed outright. These are supposed to add a touch of flavor to the game, but just like adding banana to a smoothie turns it into a banana smoothie, the game turned into us 2 players fighting the environment instead of each other. 

Necromunda

I think I took 3 or 4 shots at the enemy the whole game, while I took about the same from him. The rest of the time was spent moving in such a way as to get the enemy to attack your opponent instead. And man were they hitting like a truck. On the very first activation, a brute absolutely murdered a squat. They would go on to plague him, killing quite a few of his models. 

Necromunda

By the time he finally managed to make it to the gate, he found me. I had set up a killing lane at the door, with all of my firepower poking out from cover, just waiting for him to go for it. In the meantime, I had genestealers rushing my position, which was in cover, so it just turned into me exp farming.

Necromunda

Finally, with so many of his models out of action or seriously injured, his warband bottled, which is a silly little English term for breaking and running away. And with that, the game was a victory for me. 

And I still don't really like it. The mechanics of the game don't really mesh with me. The shooting feels punishing in a not very fun way. In Mordheim, the game has a recovery phase, where units get up on their own. This means that if you get shot and fall over, you'll automatically get up later and be on your merry way. Not here. It takes an action to get up. And you only get 2 actions. And charging takes 2 actions. And it's the only way to get into combat. So if you get shot and pinned with your all melee warband, you're not getting anything done. I also don't come to play peekaboo. I want to play the game, not peek out of corners to see who gets a bullet to the face first. I know, I know, some of you may like the game, but it's just not really working for me. 

I'll still play the campaign, as friendship is fun. As they say, the real Necormunda is the friends we made along the way. 

-The Space Dinosaur

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting, as I haven't played the game. I've read good things about the game, but never this kind of comparison between Necromunda and Mordheim, which I think is quite useful. Good to know your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete