Gaming | Welcome to Mordheim

I like efficiency, and in my quest for efficiency, this post will contribute to 4 of the 5 goals I set out for myself at the start of the year, all of one post ago. You see, I have found a group of folks in the local area who are starting up a Mordheim campaign. I was introduced a bit late to the hobby for Warhammer Fantasy and it's various offshoots, but with the return of the Old World, it seems that renewed interest is springing up in the hobby-verse. So I decided to dive right in and I actually played a test game. 

Mordheim

The game was set up with a very dense coverage of terrain, which looked quite lovely. Most of it was Warcry terrain, with a smattering of parts from other AoS kits. I commandeered one of the trail warbands on offer, the undead. The commander was a mighty vampire leading a necromancer, 3 dregs, 4 ghouls and 4 zombies. My opponent had his Osterlanders warband, and he was smart enough to set his crossbows and archers up high to create some firing lanes right from the get go.

Mordheim

Luckily for me, I didn't lose much on the slog up, as some choice use of the hidden mechanic kept me alive. The zombies took an eternity to move up as they couldn't run, so I didn't get very much use out of them. Eventually the game turned into a melee scrum between my vampire and 2 ghouls vs his captain and henchman. 

Mordheim

This is where the (to me) archaic mechanics of the game really came to the forefront. I'm used to the easy to hit and to wound rolls in AoS, but here I had to refer to tables and different model characteristics and weapon stats to math it all out. And then, and this was my least favorite part, when you did finally score a hit on a model, there's a chance that they get either stunned or knocked over. At least with stunned, they can be killed straight out by another model, but with knocked over they can just get right back up at the start of the turn. Which means damage doesn't stick. I had 3 turns in a row where the vampire simply knocked over the opposing leader. In AoS or Warcry, they're at least left with some damage to reward you for your efforts.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the dice can swing to just instant death. A lucky shot from a bowman essentially one-shotted the vampire, who after his 3 turns of wailing to no avail to simply be plucked off the field felt like a feel-bad moment. No knock down or stun, from full health to dead. I don't know if it's just cause I'm soft and pampered by modern game mechanics, but it just feels swingy and is something I'll have to get used to. Thankfully, it turns out he was an ineligible target so back on the board he went. But it's something I'll have to keep an eye out for and strategize around. 

Mordheim

After finally dispatching the captain and another 2 troops, the mercenary team failed it's leadership test and broke. The undead had won the day! Since this wasn't part of a campaign, no after action stuff was permanent, but the mechanics were explained to me and honestly this sounds like the best part of the game, getting to create a shared story with all of your fellow players. I'm looking forward to cheering on a favorite model only to watch them die an ignominious death. 

Skaven Mordheim Warband

On that note, the warband I've decided to go with are the Skaven, who in this game are represented by the sneaky Clan Eshin. I already have most of the models I need and to fill the gaps I have some Warhammer Underworlds models on the way. I'm looking forward to looting in the City of the Damned! 

-The Space Dinosaur

7 comments:

  1. I’ve never played Mord but I’ve always heard good things about it. Should be fun for you. I actually like it in man to man skirmish games when models can be one shotted. But I play less fantastically genres where everyone is just a mortal being so it might make more sense that way. Still, in a campaign they’re not really dead but will return again! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind it, more that damage doesn't stick. You can have lots of rounds in a row where you hit but then they're only knocked down, so if you can't capitalize on that then it doesn't affect the next round of combat. But I'll get used to it and maybe even come to love it lol. And yes they can come right back after which sounds fun!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like overall you had a good time, and getting in practice games before you start your campaign is well worthwhile, and yes missile fire in Mordheim is devastating, so try to use cover as much as possible ( not that I had a single missile troop available as I had the Sisters faction), look forward to reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I've learned that lesson haha. Cool to know you played Sisters, the SoB Noviates Killteam box looks like it would be a good base to make a modern warband.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like an excellent starting point SD

      Delete
  3. Mordheim looks great fun it's always being played at the club, I quite liked frostgrave which is a similar ruined city fantasy skirmish game.
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about playing Frostgrave, got the rules and everything but not a lot of people around me play it.

      Delete