Space Din-O-Pinions | Happy New Year and Hobby Goals for 2023

Now that 2022 is good and buried, we can all turn our attention onwards to the year 2023. I have a lot of goals myself for the year. You know, like working out, eating healthy and all of that jazz. But that's not the important stuff. No, what matters is the war dollies, and how I will be different and better with them in the next 360 or so days. 


Now to start with the obvious. The above bingo card is not my creation. It is from the excellent Rob Hawkins Hobby Blog, by none other than Rob Hawkins. He does this bingo card annually to track his progress, and this year I decided to give it a shot. Should give some nice variety to the types of things that I do. Don't know what I get if I get a bingo! but we'll see. So...

Goal #1: Get a Hobby Bingo 

Now, for my own goals beyond the bingo card. Last year, I painted about 156 models. Ordinarily, when I set a new goal in this area, I try to go above and beyond in order to promote personal growth. But, I honestly think 150 is a good number of models. Not too few so that I hit the score easily, but not so much as to be overwhelming and unrealistic since I do have other things to do in life. 

Goal #2: Paint 150 models

On a related note to Goal #2, I want to paint more models than I buy. Overall, I'd like to keep the purchases low, for money reasons and for the simple fact that I am running out of room. I can only test the wife's patience so much once minis start spilling out of the hobby room. So I have to kick the tendency to browse Ebay for sweet, sweet hobby deals and be happy with what I have. Unless there's a Seraphon range refresh like has been rumored, then all bets are off and the table centerpiece will be Lord Kroak. 

Goal #3: Paint More than I Buy

I like Age of Sigmar, I really do. But damn is it a complicated, bloated rules system at times. The other problem is that, while I love Age of Sigmar, finding other people that do can be complicated. Learning new systems, especially skirmish games, might help alleviate that and open up people to the bigger games of Age of Sigmar. 

Goal #4: Try a New Game System

And finally, this blog. I have a fun time with it, as it helps serve as a repository for my paint recipes and techniques that I refer to, and it allows me to create a small corner in the wargaming community. I want to continue to grow the blog, but at bare minimum, I want to post at least 3 times a month. I think that strikes a decent balance between content and pacing. 

Goal #5: Create 36 New Blog Posts

That's about all I got, now I have to get out there and make sure it gets done. What are your goals for the year? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to strike up a conversation! 

-The Space Dinosaur

4 comments:

  1. Happy new year!
    Those are some good goals: I have some of the same ones. and I like the hobby bingo. I also painted around 150ish miniatures last year which I thought was a pretty damned decent number. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! Glad to see you back!
      You gonna go for another 150 this year?

      Delete
    2. Something like that. 😀

      Delete
    3. Looking forward to seeing more angry screaming Vikings/Saxons!

      Delete