Paint Recipe: How to Paint the Chaos Furies from Warcry

Get ready for a Paint Recipe by Space Dinosaur Minis, where I go in depth with a paint scheme, covering the paints, materials and techniques that I use to achieve my style. Today I continue my coverage of the original Warcry box (that should tell you my pace of painting) and paint the 6 Chaos Furies that came included. 

How to Paint Chaos Furies

As I mentioned, at this point I've painted the other critters from the box, the Raptoryx, as well as one of the warbands, the Iron Golems. I really love the Warcry sculpts, and these furies are no exception. They have a delightfully mischevious quality about them, and I wanted to capture this impish look with the classic demonic red. 

How to Paint Chaos Furies

To begin, I primed the models with Vallejo Grey. This is important, as this bottom layer needs to be a white or a very pale color. After that's dry, I wash the entire model with Carroburg Crimson (GW), being very, very careful not to allow pooling. Especially on the wings. The smoother you can get this, the better the models will look. This will give a very soft, pink flesh hue to the model. For the beard, add a little bit of Nuln Oil (GW) for added color. 

How to Paint Chaos Furies

Once the wash was dry, I used one of my new favorite tools: makeup brushes. I knew this technique has been making the rounds for quite some time, and it was finally time for me to try it. I used Pure Red (AP) and drybrushed the upper wings, back, face, and outside of the legs and arms in a circular motion. This gave a very smooth gradient, and I could up the intensity of the color with more drybrushing without worrying about getting streaking or chalky textures. Seriously, get these brushes.

How to Paint Chaos Furies

All that's left are the horns, teeth, and eyes. I used Matt Black (AP) for the horns, claws and eyes. I then painted them over with Ardcoat (GW) to give them a gloss finish. The teeth are picked out with Matt White (AP). That's it for the organic parts of the demon. The weapon is just a standard Gunmetal (AP) and Brass Scorpion (GW) washed with Agrax Earthshade (GW). To tie these into the rest of my Slaves to Darkness army, I painted the gems with contrast Talassar Blue (GW). After that, just base to match the rest of your army.

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment