Hobby Table: Chaos Knights

Continuing the Chaos trend from last post, I finished painting the five Chaos Knights that came in the original Start Collecting - Slaves to Darkness box. This marks the first time that I've completed one of these boxes, and combined with the fact that I finished the Khorne half of the first Age of Sigmar starter set, Chaos seems to be the army of completion for me.


At first, I thought that these models had aged pretty well, but comparing them to the new Chaos Knight sculpts, you realize how, "chunky", a lot of the details on these models are. However, I do think that they still hold up, especially from a distance on the table top.

As with the Chaos Warriors, the knights follow the same principles as the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak, just with more details and horses than the warriors. To get a nice contrast between the armor and horses, I gave  the horses white fur, which I think came out pretty nice. 


The Hell Knight got a nice fancy shield, which received a drybrush of Liberator Gold to distinguish him further. The gold over the blue gives the model a slightly green tone which doesn't quite show up in the photo. Even though I wasn't quite expecting that result, I rather like it and may use it in the future.  


Banner boy was originally going to have some freehand design on the banner, but I decided against it as well, I was ready to have this unit done. Perhaps in the future I will return to paint a design. 


Generic rider 1 is more of the same, just with a screaming skull sitting atop his head.


The horn blower's horn was painted with Retributor Gold and washed with Reikland Fleshshade. I really like this combination as it gives the gold a very warm tone which contrasted nicely with the cool colors of the blue armor and white horses. I decided not to give it a silver drybrush as I din't want the silver to cool down the hue. 

There's also a neat, Tzeentchy-looking shield on this model with a multitude of eyes staring out. I painted this in Flash Gitz Yellow, washed with Cassandora Yellow, and highlighted again with Flash Gitz Yellow. The eyes were painted with Incubi Darkness and white was used for the pupils. 


Generic rider 2 has some flayed skin mounted on his shield, and ironically, I did not used flayed one flesh to paint it. Instead, a solid basecoat of Kislev Flesh washed with Reikland Fleshshade gets me to a reasonable result. 


The bases are standard for my Chaos army, representative of the mountain heights that the Skal Tribes live in. I'm getting better at applying the snow, spreading it out a little more instead of clumping it in just a few areas. 


 One more group shot, showing off the unit in a full charge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment