Hobby | Something a Little Different

I've recently passed around the sun a total of 30 times, so now that I have become an old man, it's time for my hobby to get serious. I don't have kids yet though, so I'm legally not allowed to get into historical wargaming yet. This model was a gift from a friend, from the Lindberg line of models, not that I know what that means. This guy is an XB-70, the supersonic strategic bomber the US Air Force came up with back in the golden age of aviation. 

XB-70 Model

Jokes aside, this isn't my first rodeo with model airplanes, after all, I was also once a little boy with lots of airplane toys. It is the first one in a very long time though, so it was fun to relive some of those memories. The model was cast in white plastic, so I had to do just a touch of painting and the transfers took care of the rest. 

XB-70 Model

My favorite addition was the engine glow, which is just a bit of manila envelope cut to fit inside the engine cover. I think it go the look I wanted for such a fast method. 

XB-70 Model

And that's the model, it'll now go sit in my office with all of the other planes that I have. Don't expect to be doing much more of these kinds of model in the future (I'm not that old), but it's nice to shake it up from time to time.

-The Space Dinosaur

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on another rotation, so you haven't reached the age of badly coloured tank tops yet, but slowly getting there ! LOL Excellent work on the plane, not one I'd heard of before, but a very interesting shape and style, reminds me a lot of 70's and early 80's sci-fi craft, which was probably based off of this design ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol but soon I’m sure. Never thought of that but now that you say it I can see that, kinda crazy to think that it influenced a lot of what we see today.

      Delete
  2. congrats on 30 rotations. you don't need kids to be an historical gamer, you need grand kids.
    😜

    If you really want to harken back to youth, maybe do the thing where you hanfg planes from the ceiling by fishing line in an ever expanding dogfight.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! None of those hopefully for quite a while yet. The grandkids I mean, I could probably be tempted into a few historicals.

      Oh boy those were the good days, I did have a bunch hanging from the ceiling.

      Delete