Hobby | Murkillor the Wraith King (Spooktober/Apocalypse Me)

Spooktober keeps on giving, and we are firmly back in fantasy land (sorry space) with another creature meant for the apocalyptic fantasy scape of Verrotwood (or Dungeons & Dragons, it works there too). This is a figure from Reaper Miniatures, which was available in their Bones V Kickstarter. The official name is Murkillor the Wraith King, but I intend to use him as a ghostly entity that inhabits dark ruins within the Verrotwood. 

Murkillor the Wraith King

This was a fun little model to paint, although the thick details makes me realize how good Games Workshop models are in the details area. This is a thick, chunky model, which becomes apparent when you compare this to the Nighthaunt range. On the other hand, the weapon is super bendy and took some encouragement to be in the same vicinity as straight. You do get what you pay for. That said, this was a super cheap model for me to get, and it gave me a chance to use my Nighthaunt scheme on a non-GW model. 

Murkillor the Wraith King
Now in Technicolor!

I did have a lot of fun with the armor, especially the weathering. There's lot of subtle little highlights, and then I made some good use of rust and oxidizing effects. Unfortunately, my camera struggled to get all the minutiae of the miniature (hehe).  
 
Murkillor the Wraith King

That bendy sword got a very similar treatment to the sword that Nagash carries, just a bit more exaggerated. I do like how the greens contrast quite nicely, with a bit of a warmer tone in the sword and a cooler hue in the robes. Goes to show that green is a neutral color that you can swing around on the tone scale. 

Murkillor the Wraith King

And now from the back. Same deal as before, with lots of fun weathering on the chainmail. Then it was on to the base, where I opted to go for red brick instead of my usual grey stone. I think it helps with contrast and just looks more interesting. It also helps separate the model from the base. I also kept the vegetation to a minimum. Yes, I know it's supposed to be in a haunted forest, but my thought process here is that he haunts a very decrepit ruin, and not very much life can support itself in his presence. 

Murkillor the Wraith King

-The Space Dinosaur

4 comments:

  1. Excellent, colourful wraith king, he might have been cheap but your paintjob disguises it really well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work SD, the colour choices really make the model stand out, and looks a very impressive piece.

    ReplyDelete