Hobby | Seaside Shrine (Season of Scenery 2023)

The Silverlight Sea is a major aspect of life for all of the cultures surrounding it. As such, many of the peoples have adopted various mythos and customs in relation to the sea. 

This particular seaside shrine is common of the Skal Tribes who inhabit the northeastern corner of the Heldeni Empire. Not strictly a religious practice, these mementos dot the treacherous coasts in memory of lost sailors and adventurers. 

Reaper Miniatures Scatter Terrain

Kicking off my entry into the Season of Scenery 2023 challenge, we have this little bit of scatter terrain from Reaper Miniatures. I think it was part of the Bones 5 Kickstarter, although what particular part of that campaign it was bundled with, I have no idea. 

Reaper Miniatures Scatter Terrain

It's a small bit of scatter, but very thematic, which is a plus. The scale of Reaper Minis are all over the place, and thanks to my excellent journalistic skills, I provided zero context for readers to determine that. But I can tell you (tell, don't show) that the skeleton is on the smaller side, looking more child or adolescent size than a full grown adult. Or you can say it's a dwarf. It's a fantasy world, afterall. 

Reaper Miniatures Scatter Terrain

In my Quest for More Color! (tm), I dabbed some bright blue paint along the sides. I wanted this to have a faded paint look, kind of like it's chipping away. I could have done more to sell this effect, but hey, this was a quick little afternoon of fun.

Reaper Miniatures Scatter Terrain

Same with this little doo-dad. I went for purple because, I thought purple would look good. I don't know what it's supposed to be, but the detailing of the net was pretty good for a Reaper mini. 

Reaper Miniatures Scatter Terrain

Not a massive entry to a scenery challenge, but hey, it's something. 

Thanks for reading and commenting!
-The Space Dinosaur

9 comments:

  1. Looks good. It's is very thematic, especially if the theme is pirates of the Caribbean. I also have no idea what the little bauble is supposed to be. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel Pirates of the Caribbean huh? Well yar har, we'll be ignorant of its true purpose together!

      Delete
  2. Great work SD, scenery is scenery, no matter how big or small it is, so you have definitely hit the brief. It looks a very thematic piece, which could tell many different stories depending how you wanted to tell the story. The additional paint on the side of the boat really helps sell the old weathered look. As for the globe in the net, it could be a giant pearl, or an organ from a large sea creature, it is vague enough it allows each person to make their own interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it's fairly common for mini painters to forget that when the models are used for gaming that the story is a shared interpretation, and everyone helps create the story together. Not everything needs a bulletproof answer.

      Delete
  3. Lovely bit of scenery, I like the broken bit of blue, it helps lift it, I've certainly got loads of terrain that's mostly brown so a bit of colour is great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely got too much brown terrain, so anything helps haha.

      Delete