Hobby | Bits, Bobs, and Signposts

As I get on with the move, I've been working on smaller projects for now, nothing too fancy. The third Dungeons & Lasers Kickstarter included some nice stretch goals, which I've been building and finally got some paint on some of them. I really like these kinds of models, as they add a lot of flavor to a game. 

Dungeons & Lasers Painted Stretch Goals

I got a nice bit of variety going, and one of my biggest goals with this mini project was to inject a bit of color into my models. Medieval/fantasy stuff can end up with lots of browns, as was pointed out to me by my brother. I still ended up using some browns, because, well, it's wood, but where I could I used colors to brighten up the models. 

Dungeons & Lasers Painted Stretch Goals

First up was this poor fellow, who was strung up to a post and left to die. In my lore, the Amethyst Cult were responsible for a great calamity that brought the undead into the world, and so followers are now hunted down, executed and made examples of. Obviously, this guy lost the game of hide-and-seek and has paid for it. So the robes got a purple coloring, but for visual interest I used some hot pink to highlight the tips and used blue wash to darken the recesses. It all ended up looking a bit synthwave. And instead of the usual black or brown hair, I went with blonde, which also contrasts nicely with the purple robes. 

Dungeons & Lasers Painted Stretch Goals

This little guy is in fact, not, an Archon Studio model. It's a bit from the old GW Wyldwood kit, and I actually painted it up a long time ago and plopped it onto a base that was way too big for it. Well I put it onto a more appropriately sized 32 mm base, and redid parts of the paintjob and viola. Love how the writing came out on this one. 

Dungeons & Lasers Painted Stretch Goals

This one looks very Warhammer, in the style of the Old World. To inject some color I used bold, primary colors on the signposts. These were quite small and prevented me from writing inside, so I just figured that these colors are understood to mean different cities and that the populace would be able to interpret it. 

Dungeons & Lasers Painted Stretch Goals

Just a bell. Nothing too fancy, but this could make for a great objective marker. 

Dungeons & Lasers Painted Stretch Goals

More signs, this time with a tree growing over them. I went with a very pale wood on this one, and then contrasted it with very vibrant green leaves. 

Dungeons & Lasers Painted Stretch Goals

A flag in the Heldenmarch colors. This set actually came with a few flags, so I want to paint them up to match some of the armies that I have. 

Dungeons & Lasers Painted Stretch Goals

Just a regular old signpost. The fungus was a nice pop of color. 

Dungeons & Lasers Painted Stretch Goals

And finally, another signpost. The brownest of the bunch, I added some last minute color with the red on the words. I very lightly drybrushed it on to give it the appearance of faded pain. I think it came out ok.

This was a fun project and a nice pallet cleanser. It may be a bit before I get back into the painting, I have a big move to finish and all of the Warhammer is tucked away in neat little boxes. 

Till I can get back into it.
-The Space Dinosaur

2 comments:

  1. Those all look really nice and atmospheric. Good luck with your move. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and they were good fun to paint too. Oh man, I hope it goes well. Makes me realize how much stuff I have, and also makes my wife realize how much I have, which is the more dangerous problem haha.

      Delete