Hobby Table: A Dinosaur Riding Another Slightly Larger Dinosaur or a Scar Veteran on Cold One

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with my thoughts on the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. Today's model is an example of why the Seraphon are the best and every other army wishes it was Seraphon: dinosaurs riding dinosaurs. 

Age of Sigmar Scarvet on Cold One

The model in question is the Scar Veteran on Cold One, a hero character for the Seraphon whose model has existed since the old Warhammer Fantasy days. Since this model has never received an update since those halcyon days, many people, myself included, would just kitbash one from one of the spare Saurus Knights in the Start Collecting box. However, I managed to snag an original metal model for a few bucks and so here we are. 

Skaven Pelt Cloak, Scarveteran on Cold One

I'm going to be honest: the sculpt's not the best. It's not bad, but it uses the derpy Cold One that the Saurus Knights use, and I'm not a fan of those. The faces and front claws just don't do it for me. The Scarvet looks better, and I'm a big fan of the cloak. In Warhammer Fantasy, the Lizardmen and Skaven were big enemies, and so I love that this model's cloak is made of the pelts of dead Skaven. I'd really like to see what this model would look like in the modern era. It has lots of character, but the details aren't as crisp as what I'm used to now. 

Scarvet on Cold One

The painting was really easy and fun due to the variety of texture and color. That's one of the best things about an army like the Seraphon. The riot of color also makes it a joy to look at when it's on the table, and I always try to emphasize that models need to look good at that distance as well. One area that I pushed my techniques was with the wet blending on the feathers to get a smooth transition from yellow to orange to red. I'm pleased with the way it turned out. 

Wet blending feathers

Now for my overall thoughts on the model, I will judge it based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze.
 
My Scar Vet on Cold One review:

Sculpt: 4/10

A lot of the Seraphon models start to feel same-y after a bit, and besides the crest and the Skaven cloak there's not much to distinguish it from other models. The metal also had a lot of flash and it almost seemed at times that the mold wasn't lined up correctly. 

Ease of Painting: 4/5

The model is really easy to paint, with few ornate details and easy to read features. The large amount of different textures means you have to do a little more paint swapping than normal, upping the difficulty. 

Final tips: Pin your metal models. This guy fell apart quite a few times while I was working on it. 

-The Space Dinosaur


No comments:

Post a Comment