Hobby Table: Skaven Clan Moulder Heroes, Master Moulder and Packmasters

Get your brushes and clippers, and welcome to the Space Dinosaur Hobby Table, where I cover what I've completed recently in the Age of Sigmar hobby, along with my thoughts on the sculpts, how easy they're to paint, and any tips or tricks I can pass on to make your life easier. Today's post will cover some Skaven Clan Moulder heroes. 

Age of Sigmar Converted Master Moulder

First up on the docket is a Master Moulder, which, you may have noticed, is not the official model sold by Games Workshop, which at the time of this writing was unavailable anywhere I looked. Always one to find a way to save a quick buck, and finding that I had 4 packmasters and that they come in units of 3, I decided to plop one onto a 32 mm base and call it good.  

Age of Sigmar Skaven Master Moulder

I chose the packmaster with the closest load out to the original model, a whip and things-catcher. It's actually one of the packmasters from the rat ogre, packmaster, and giant rat bundle that GW sells, but I only got this one from a random Skaven lot I bough on Ebay. Not really a conversion, more of a stand-in, but any opponent should be fine as he matches the profile and base dimensions, plus it's a legit GW model. If someone is going to give you crap about playing it, I would suggest finding someone not so prickly to play against. 

Age of Sigmar Master Moulder

Of course, as befits his new status as Master Moulder, his weapons were all tipped with Warpstone and given a suitable glow effect. The painting was super easy, as these older models have less detail and chunkier features. Any brown will do for the fur, then drybrush with a lighter brown. For the green I used an army green, washed with black wash, then highlighted with a pale green for stark contrast. The tail is pink washed with a flesh shade, the weapons are gunmetal. Finally the warpstone is bright green washed with a green wash. 

Age of Sigmar Skaven Packmasters

On to the unit of packmasters. I had actually already painted one of these when they were single hero models and buffed rat ogres, but now that they come as a unit of 3 I had to get two more painted. These are all exactly the same sculpt from the excellent but now out of print boxed set Spire of Dawn which came with new sculpts for Skaven and High Elves. Unfortunately, these new, way better sculpts were retired since they were on the same sprues as the High Elves, and you're stuck buying the old ugly rat ogres and weapons teams. 

Age of Sigmar Skaven Packmasters

Since I had the opportunity, I tried to give all 3 a distinct paint scheme, but I didn't do a very good job of it with 2 of them ending up pretty similar, just variations of green. Oh well, I got the 3 I need so they're ready to go prod some Rat Ogres. 

As is now the Hobby Table tradition, I will judge the models based on two categories. Firstly, the sculpt itself will be scored on a scale of 0 to 10, with 5 being average, 0 horrendous, and 10 a marvel. For a reference point, I consider the Stormcast Liberator to be a 5, neither great nor bad. Just a passable, average model. Then I will score on Ease of Painting, between 1 and 5, 1 being a slog to paint and 5 being a breeze. 

I am also splitting this between the old sculpt and the new:

Old Packmaster/Master Moulder
Sculpt: 4/10
Ease of Painting: 5/5

New Packmaster
Sculpt: 5/10
Ease of Painting: 4/5

Final tips: The new packmaster's staff makes it difficult to paint the front of the model. Either paint in sub-assemblies or use thin brushes and be careful when painting that part of the model so as not to get paint where it shouldn't go.

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment