Paint Recipe: How to Paint Stormcast Eternals

Greetings! Today I have a simple post explaining the paints I use for my Stormcast Eternals. At a glance, they appear similar to the Anvils of the Heldenhammer, but I made a couple of changes to the scheme so that the colors contrast a bit more. I'll have the full recipe further below.



Stormcast Eternals are very easy to paint quickly to a good tabletop standard. You can prime the models in any color, but a black or grey will help hide any imperfections in the armor base coat, while a light color such as white will really help the reds go on easier. Really up to you which advantage you prefer. After that, I base coat the armor in a metallic black I purchased from Hobby Lobby. I used to mix black with Army Painter Gunmetal but this process became tedious. So I just bought a good bottle since I knew that I would be using this color a lot. It takes about two coats for it to get good coverage. 


All the paints used in the process: Ceramcoat metallic black, Greedy Gold, Dragon Red, Chaotic Red, Agrax Earthshade, Shining Silver, Blue Tone Wash, and Flayed One Flesh. 
After that basecoat, you can dry brush the model with shining silver to get all the details nice and crisp, but I usually skip this step as I don't really find it to add all that much most of the time. Next, Greedy Gold on the pauldron trim, tabard mail, weapon hilt and pommel, and the halos. Remember that the small daggers also have these little details that can be painted in gold. The shield rim can be painted now as well, but any of the details on the surface I would save for later.

Dragon red is used for the tabard and helmet plumes while chaotic red is used for belts and pouches. You could use Dragon Red for this too to reduce the time, but I like having another color. Once all of this initial base coats are dry, wash the details (but not the armor) in Agrax Earthshade.

Now for the Flayed One Flesh. Ordinarily, this would look like a skin tone if used on a face or hands, but next to the gold and black it takes on a creamy hue. The pauldrons and shields will be based with this color, and it will take quite a few layers to come out smooth and solid. This color is also used for any parchment details. Once the cream is complete, paint any details on the cauldrons or shields with Greedy Gold or Shining Silver. A wash of Agrax Earthshade on the parchment and gold details helps to bring details back.

Finally, a coat of Shining Silver on the weapons and an optional Blue Tone wash to give them a magical effect finishes off the models. Now base to match the rest of your army.

No comments:

Post a Comment