Space Din-O-Pinions | Enjoying the Hobby for What it is

Let's be blunt: we're all somewhat nerds when it comes to this tabletop thing. I've been a nerd for a long time, but sometimes this manifestation of nerdiness takes people by surprise. "Oh wow", they say, as they stare at immaculately painted minis all lined up in an Ikea case, "those are...very well painted." You say thank you and move on to another room, away from your war dollies that have taken hundreds of hours and dollars to have in your room. 

https://sarahcandersen.com/
Credit to the lovely https://sarahcandersen.com/


A lot of people don't know how to handle miniature wargaming. They get boardgaming, that's easy. "Is it like Catan?" No. Or maybe they've heard of D&D, they know the idea from Stranger Things, and ask if it's like that. Sorta, but like bigger and more models and there's no experience or levels or loot. Except sometimes there is, depending on your game.

And then they ask, that annoying question, "Are they toys then?"

Credit, The Pirates! Band of Misfits

There's almost an innocent condescension with this question. Yes, in reality, at the very end of the day, these are toys. You paint and play with them in a game, and imaginary battles happen in your brain. They are, indeed, toys. Buuuuut, they're not, kids toys, are they? Sure, younger people can play with them, but that's not the audience. Warhammer especially is too expensive to do that. 

What it is, at least to me, and I'm sure some others, is a fulfillment of a promise. I was born before the internet and big, blockbuster CGI-fests. I grew up as the internet grew up, playing games like Runescape and watching the Lord of the Rings. These things shaped me, and my interests trended nerdy. Sure, there were some games, like Heroscape, that hinted at where these could go, but the technology wasn't there, and the fantasy genre was...not as mainstream as it is today. 

Credit, A random internet meme based off an old movie

Now, we have the technology. And finally, some popularity, which brings money. And fantasy wargaming today is everything I wish I ever had as a kid. Super realistic and detailed models. A thriving online community to chat and learn from. I can go onto Facebook or Discord and easily find people to play with, no longer having to spend ages trying to convert friends to play tabletop games when juggernauts like Halo exist. And I love that. 

So yes, they are toys, but they are the toys I didn't have or couldn't afford or just couldn't exist in the form they are today. And that's ok. Some escapism is good. I have responsibilities out of the home and in it, and I take care of it, but you know what, it's nice to have some toys to play with (...phrasing). Not every aspect of adulthood has to be dreary or boring, or lose all semblance of childhood. 

So where does that leave me today? Why did I write this post? Why now? I'm not really sure. For whatever reason, I'm embarrassed to share this hobby with others that don't share the same interests. I don't like getting the same questions, the same quizzical faces, the same attitude of, "That's a weird hobby." No one every truly means harm by it, but if I mention I like playing football in the park, no one bats an eyelid, even though that is also, by definition, a game. 

So I guess what I'm getting at is, well, from here on out I just enjoy the hobby for what it is, and not let my shyness get the better of me from sharing my enjoyment of it. And who knows, maybe I'll bump into a fellow soul who's just as interested but hides it all the same. New years are good for things like that. 

-The Space Dinosaur

2 comments:

  1. I liked the Din-Opinions.
    it's a silly hobby isn't it? Though honestly I've never been embarrassed by it. I've also never had anyone ever say anything besides "that's cool" to me after seeing my stuff or me describing it. Maybe there's something to the fact that I'm like 90% a historical gamer and that's easier to understand than sci-fy stuff. My wife knew I did this stuff when I we started dating (oh so long ago) and she would do her own hobby stuff while I painted. So yeah, don't be embarrassed by having a hobby. Everyone should have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    Yeah it can be silly if you stop to think about it for a few minutes. I think the embarrassment comes all the fantasy stuff not being as cool when I was a kid, but definitely working on getting comfortable in my own skin and embracing it.

    ReplyDelete