Hobby | Ebay Rescues Demigryph Knights and Direwolves

The world of miniature wargaming is an expensive place. GW is king of that world, an suitably so, they charge a hefty price for minis. I, however, cannot afford to pay that hefty price for every single mini. And so I turn to other places, mostly Ebay, to feed my addiction. Usually, I buy bulk lots for cheap that are either unpainted or badly painted, and I clean them up and get going from there. From time to time, there are some models that come painted juuuust well enough where I get a time savings and I give some models a new home. And that's how I ended up with these three Demigryph Knights and a unit of five "direwolves". 

Painted Demigryph Knights

Unfortunately, I don't have very good photos of these minis before I got to them, but Ebay keeps a record of your purchases and this is what they look like. When I saw these, I thought they were decent enough for the price and went ahead and bought them. Whoever previously owned them equipped them all with swords. I like it, I think it's really cool, but it's sadly an illegal configuration for Age of Sigmar. Luckily, I had built some of my own Demigryph Knights with halberds, which meant I still had the bits to equip all of these with spears.  


Once in hand, there was just some clean up work to do to get these up to snuff. Mostly trying to match the paints that the previous owner used. I didn't get this perfectly, but I feel like I got close enough. In places where I couldn't, I just painted over with a light glaze to get all of the colors to match. I thought about getting these guys to match my first unit of knights, but I decided against it as it would have nullified any of the time savings I essentially purchased. So in my mind, these are knights from a different order that uses a different set of heraldry. 

Painted Demigryph Knights

Painted Demigryph Knights

Painted Demigryph Knights

On the other end of the spectrum, I have these "direwolves". I use quotations because, when I purchased them, they were Fenrisian Wolves from Warhammer 40K. Also at the time, the new, much better, Direwolves kit had not yet come out from GW, so I got these to use as proxies instead of the derpy old models. I also got these in a really cheap Ebay lot, and they were still on the 50 mm rounds from their 40K kit. So I swapped those out for cavalry bases, gave em a nice drybrushing, then painted the bases to match the rest of my Soulblight Gravelords army. Easy peasy. Not too bad compared to my Chaos Warhounds conversion, if just a tad bigger. 

Fenrisian Wolves Direwolves Proxy


-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment