Space Din-O-Pinions: The State of Games Workshop and the Warhammer Hobby

Welcome to Space Din-O-pinions where I ramble about my incoherent thoughts in the wargame hobby. Today's post is the result of Games Workshop's recent bungling of the Cursed City release, how it left a sour taste in my mind, and how it has made me take a step back and reflect on this hobby we all enjoy. 

Age of Sigmar Cursed City, Games Workshop 2020

If you're not aware, Cursed City was slated to be the next permanent Warhammer Quest game, as in it would be stocked at GW stores for the near future. However, due to some unforeseen (from our perspective) circumstances, the game only launched as a limited edition product. Once it sold out, the game was gone. Now, I don't have an issue per se when a company runs into some production issues, especially given the current year we're in. The big issue that everyone has had though is the lack of communication and honestly shady business practices of the company as of recently. 

GW still to this day hasn't released a statement as to what is going on, or why they initially said it would be a permanent product and then scrubbed the internet of those comments post launch. There's probably some shareholder issues going on as GW doesn't want to publicly admit they have production issues or excessive tariffs from Chinese imports, but still. I bought the product expecting it to be supported with expansions, but I guess that's not happening now. And I won't know, at least as long as GW keeps quiet. Oh but they'll still sell you some of the villain models for over half the cost of the full box, that can't even be used in game without taking Radukar, who is packaged separately and goes for another $35

Now people have talked about this ad nauseam, and better than I ever could, BUT, I would like to discuss how this leaves me feeling ahead of the Age of Sigmar Third Edition boxed set release, Dominion. Which, mind you, has been confirmed to be a limited edition release. I already know that Dominion will sell out quickly, and there's a strong case of FOMO going on, but has this company earned another $200 out of me with how they treated Cursed City? It's not just Cursed City either. This debacle has me looking at some of the other more recent practices of GW. 

Broken Realms: Morathi, GW 2020

All of those Broken Realms books that are $40 a pop that add battalions and new rules? Invalidated as soon as 3rd edition comes out. Sure, you get lore and some art, but $40 worth? No, and I stopped at Morathi and got the lore off of 2+ Tough and the Age of Sigmar Lexicanum. You play Lumineth and got your second battletome in six months? Sure you could have got Broken Realms: Teclis, but you're still paying $80 total for your rules. What if you don't play Lumineth and bought Broken Realms: Teclis? Great now you have a bunch of rules that don't pertain to you. But you still paid for it. 

Played Cities of Sigmar, particularly High Elves? Remember when GW said that every army that made it to AoS wouldn't get squatted? Well now half that army got wiped, along with a lot of other fantastic sculpts. I know things happen. I get it. But a lot of this has felt like money grubbing to me, especially with the books. They feel like physical subscription fees that I have to pay annually to keep my rules up to date. Which they do for free in FAQs anyways. Even though sometimes those FAQs suck and aren't worth the time. 

Do I have solutions for this? Not for GW, they don't read this blog and I don't know the first thing about business anyways. For all I know every single one of these steps has been necessary to keep the company afloat. Has GW communicated this to me? Nope, and their record profits would say otherwise. I do have solutions for the gamers though, and not all to the benefit of GW. 

Game of Age of Sigmar

First things first. I'm not going to encourage direct piracy, but I will encourage you to find alternate sources for rules and miniatures. I will also say, these rules apply to home games, where the majority of games happen anyways. 

Secondly, house ruling and pointing. You already bought and paid for your models. They're yours, so don't let anyone tell you you have to use them exactly as they say in your own home. You think it's stupid that you have to take all of the Cursed City villains as a single unit? I know I do, and you bet that I'm going to point and take them separately. 

Caveat: don't be a jerk and work it out with your friends. Don't be that guy and use this to power game. Have a conversation with them, see what's acceptable and work from there. They can say no, and that's totally fine. But you've talked it over and that's what matters. If you're opponent isn't down to have a conversation, find better, friendlier opponents. Life is too short to be appeasing to everyone. Obviously, if you're at a tournament, whatever the TO says goes. Their roof their rules. Same for GW stores. 

Thirdly, use different rule sets to play with your minis. Tired of constantly paying for new books and rules? There are other rules writers out there. One Page Rules has a cool looking ruleset, Frostgrave just came out with a second edition book, and Oathmark looks pretty cool too. I've even combined Dungeons and Dragons with Age of Sigmar, and I'd do it again. Plus, you get more bang for your buck when it comes to minis. 

Epic Encounters: Caverns of the Frost Giant

Lastly, you can play Warhammer, either 40K or Age of Sigmar, without using official GW minis. Proxies are a thing, as is 3D printing. We really shouldn't have an issue. I own a printer, and they're expensive and finicky. They're a hobby in their own right, and we shouldn't look down on it. Oh but they paid less than I paid for my official army? Good. Maybe that'll encourage GW to bring their prices down, they've gotten excessive, and this is coming from someone who can afford the hobby. Creativity should be encouraged, not stifled. Of course, proxy within reason. It had better look like what you say it is. 

So where, after this long rant, leave me with GW and Age of Sigmar? Well, it's complicated. AoS has a few things going for it. They're sculpts and production quality are top of the line. The popularity of the game is a huge bonus, as I could move across the country and easily find games. Plus there's the elephant in the room of I've already invested a ton of time and money into this hobby as is. 

From here on out, and I'm sure you can already see the blog trending that way, it won't be AoS pure. I'm mixing in other games, other minis, and playing as I see fit. If I purchase GW things, it won't purely be to have the latest thing, and I may even have some armies stick to old battletomes so I won't constantly have to purchase new ones. Just know that if I review anything, it will be my full opinion with no ugly parts left out. I won't fan boy for a company with practices like this. Cursed City's release was garbage and it deserves to be said. 

Hope you all enjoy the upcoming diversity in content, I know I'm looking forward to it.

-The Space Dinosaur

No comments:

Post a Comment