Hobby Table: Umbral Spellportals and Balewind Vortex

Since my current project of a Chaos Lord on Karkadrak is taking forever, I wanted to knock out some really easy pallet cleansers, and Endless Spells are really great for this due to how simple the models usually are. In this post I will cover my Umbral Spellportals and Balewind Vortex. 


The portal part of the spell is a basecoat of thinned Alien Purple washed with Purple Tone. From there, un-diluted Alien Purple is painted into the troughs of the ripple effect. I then mixed Alien Purple with Matt White and highlighted the crests. 

To make the shine effect, mix more white into the purple and highlight only specific parts of the crests in an arc, covering more area as you move away from the center. Repeat this with more white in the mix, covering about the middle half of each arc. Finally, with pure white, paint the mid quarter of each arc. 

To sell this effect even more, slightly darken Alien Purple with a smidge of Matt Black, and paint dark arcs in the troughs opposite to the crests that you highlighted. 

As a last, optional step, I covered the mirror area with 'Ardcoat gloss. 


The metal rim is Retributor Armor washed with Red Tone and drybrushed with Shining Silver. The smoke effect is achieved by first priming with Vallejo Grey. A 5:1 mix of Lahmian Medium and Matt Black was then glazed over the entire smoke area. I then repeated this 3 times, each time covering less area and focusing on the tips of the smoke. Once this was dry, I did an overall drybrush of Matt White. 

Now all that's left is to base to match your army. 

Balewind Vortex 

The Balewind Vortex is even easier to paint. I started with a Matt Black basecoat, which was drybrushed with Incubi Darkness. I then mixed 1:1 of Incubi Darkness and Ash Grey and dryrbushed again. Finally, I drybrushed with pure Ash Grey. 

The metal is Brass Scorpion washed with Green Tone.


The actual vortex is even easier, literally a coating of Cassandora Yellow over Vallejo Grey. Some dry brushing with Flash Gitz Yellow around the base and the eyes of the skull at the top gives the model a nice glow effect. And that's it, you're done!


I also didn't realize how big of a model this was until I had it in my hands, so for ease of transport and storage I magnetized the tornado and base so that they come apart easily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment