Hobby Table: The Great Basing and Priming of 2020

As I continue to progress through my hobby backlog, I realize that sometimes I won't start painting a model, even if I really want to, because it isn't primed and I just don't feel like putting in the effort to do so. I used to use spray can primer, but it was so weather dependent and it can get so blisteringly hot here that getting a significant amount of models primed was a chore. Instead I've moved on to using an airbrush.

So much to go! 
The other issue with an airbrush, and at least the primer that I use, is that it has a tendency to want to clog after a bit of time requiring a more thorough cleaning. Because of this I'm never really tempted to drag out the airbrush to prime a single model due to the extra hassle and time involved. So I decided to just go for it and prime a majority of my models in one go!

But before I could start that, I like to base my models before priming. The paint acts as a sealant and helps to keep the texture solidly on the base. I usually use sand, either a very fine one that I got at a craft store or some beach sand. 

After a lot of time I got through it all, and now I have a much larger selection of models to choose from when I get painting. Maybe you should try to knock out these more annoying aspects of the hobby in one or two go's so that you can focus on the more fun aspects!

No comments:

Post a Comment