Age of Sigmar Deathrattle marching across swamps

Age of Sigmar Deathrattle marching across swamps

Black Seas USS Essex | Hobby & Season of Scenery

The USS Essex has been languishing half finished for a few months now, so I decided to finally buckle down and just get her done. She's an American frigate who gained some notoriety for her daring raids in the Pacific during the War of 1812. Her career came to an end at the hands of the Royal Navy in Valparaiso, Chile.

Warlord Games Black Seas USS Essex Painted

Warlord Games has delivered her in 1/700 scale as a resin model, the same size as the generic 6th rates but with a bespoke design. The kit comes provided with metal masts, which are on the thinner size and are an incredible pain to work with. Not only because they bend with the slightest touch, but they make the whole model top heavy, which combined with the thinness of the model means she tips over constantly. I've been wanting to avoid bases on any ships larger than a schooner, but this one tempts me. 

Warlord Games Black Seas USS Essex Painted

I used the same American Navy scheme I've used throughout my US fleet, although the port lids I kept all black instead of my usual red. I wanted to try out what this subtler look would do, and there's pros and cons. On one hand I think it looks more realistic and muted, but on the other it can look unfinished when compared to other ships. Maybe that'll change if I paint more American ships to match. 

Warlord Games Black Seas USS Essex Painted

The model included a metal spar deck with molded in boats as well as a boat on stern davits. I decided to include neither, as I thought it obscured the beautiful details of the sculpt. That middle section with the hatches, hoist, and cannons would be completely covered if I used it. 

Warlord Games Black Seas USS Essex Painted

Same for this lovely stern. I used a touch of gold to give a slight pop of color and have something to draw the eye. The detail on this resin is very crisp, I didn't have to do any touchups after painting the name, just a few brushstrokes in a drybrush style to leave some paint behind. 

Warlord Games Black Seas USS Essex Painted

From my research the figurehead is supposed to be a Native American war chief. My photography doesn't quite capture it, but there are some neat little details on it that I'm amazed they can render at this scale. 

Warlord Games Black Seas USS Essex Painted

And I'm sure you've all noticed as well but I've attempted upping my game when it comes to the photography of these little ships, hope you all like it! This also counts as my first entry into the Season of Scenery. I also have some small scale 15 mm North American terrain in the works that I hope to have posted relatively soon. 

-The Space Dinosaur 

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic work on your latest ship SD, the detailing you've got done is perfect, and the photographs are sublime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! I’m quite proud of how the whole thing turned out!

      Delete
  2. Wow, she's a total beauty! I understand what you say about not basing ships, but I guess this one can be tricky. Whatever you decide will be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! Yeah it's one of those things that will just irk me if I have to do it. I'll play some games with her first before deciding, maybe it won't be so bad.

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking frigate,very nice work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm REALLY late to the game commenting on this one, but wow sir, this vessel looks superb! Catching all that detail and with the rigging presented in that printed plastic (Far easier to work with no doubt than faffing about with superglue and thread?) turns one eye for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha no worries! Yeah I know some folks who do the whole making their own ratlines and it’s just not worth the effort to me. I have been told that the brass etched ones are pretty good though so I’ll have to keep an eye out for those.

      Delete